Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Butchertown Hall
1416 4th Ave North
Nashville, TN 37208
615-454-3634

From the Butchertown Hall website:

"Butchertown Hall is local restaurateur Terry Raley’s vision of modern barbeque, inspired by the Central Texas meat market culture in which he grew up, and the late 19th-century butcher shop pursuits of this very neighborhood. Making extensive use of our 36 square-foot open fire hearth, alongside a custom-built high-capacity smoker, we patiently cook soulful, exciting food. Expect the finest wood-fired premium cuts, craft tacos & Tex-Mex standards, roasted oysters, delicately-charred garden vegetables, and the finest smoked brisket outside of Austin…ask around."

The Official TVWBB Greater Nashville Area BBQ Restaurant Correspondent (my sister) went to Butchertown Hall today for an early 4:30pm dinner. It's located in Germantown, one of Nashville's hottest urban neighborhoods jam-packed with historic homes and buildings and a bar or restaurant on almost every corner.

Our correspondent writes, "Nice outdoor patio seating. We chose to eat inside because it was 97*F outside and humid, but it was hot inside, too...felt like no air conditioning running. Very cool modern vibe. Subway tiles on the walls, wooden floors, and lots of repurposed décor. It was very hard to hear one another, so it was difficult to enjoy conversation.

"We ordered a full rack of baby back ribs and 1/2 lb of brisket, with mac & cheese, Brussels sprouts, and rosemary potatoes. Presentation on butcher boards was beautiful. Loved the house pickles and onions. Unfortunately, the ribs were dry and hard to pull from the bone and the brisket was dry and stringy. I was longing for that juicy, fatty, melt-in-your-mouth brisket--not happening here at this place. The meat and the sides were just warm, kind of on the cold side. They also gave you tiny plates to eat from, which was very difficult.

"I thought the tortillas on the side were yummy but strange with barbecue. I was left longing for a good cornbread. They didn't have traditional sides of beans, coleslaw, or collard greens. Wish they had those."

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

Turns out the highlight of the evening was not the barbecue at Butchertown Hall but the cookies from nearby Christie Cookie Co. Southern pecan, peanut butter, and triple chocolate were enjoyed.

IMG_2203.jpg

Maybe the time of day was not the best for this place ?

I don't get the tortilla. I would try to build a taco with it ;)

Dang - all the pictures look great but if the meat is no good the presentation and atmosphere just sort of add to the frustration. I'm looking forward to a review on a place that's been around for 15 years or more.... they're around there somewhere.

Maybe the time of day was not the best for this place ?
They're not a lunch place on weekdays. They're open 3:00pm-9:00pm M-F, then 10:00am-9:00pm on S-S.

So 90 minutes into opening should have rendered some moist barbecue, no?

I'm looking forward to a review on a place that's been around for 15 years or more.... they're around there somewhere.
Yeah, we'll see if we can make that happen. :D When my sister's husband retired, his work colleagues gave him a collection of BBQ restaurant gift cards as a retirement gift. Once they burn through those, there are endless possibilities.

Yes, right at opening should be the best meats of the day.

There's a competitor from BBQ Pitmasters , Carey Bringle, I think is his name. Has a place in Nashville called Peg Leg Porkers. He was also on the Moonshiners: Smoke Ring series. That would probably be the first place I'd hit in Nashville.

Peg Leg is very good.

But my go to in Nashville is Martin’s BBQ. Pat Martin is a whole hog master. Luckily, both of my daughter’s apartments in town have been within two blocks of a Martin’s location.

There's a competitor from BBQ Pitmasters , Carey Bringle, I think is his name. Has a place in Nashville called Peg Leg Porkers. He was also on the Moonshiners: Smoke Ring series. That would probably be the first place I'd hit in Nashville.
Yes! That would be one of my first, too.

But my go to in Nashville is Martin’s BBQ. Pat Martin is a whole hog master.
My correspondent has been there in the past, said it was great, will have to get her to go again so we can have her review.

When we were there we ate at Jack's bbq and had some great bbq. I like that they have turkey on the menu we don't have that around where I live.

Back