Tenderloin Help

Robert T.

TVWBB Super Fan
I wasn't sure where this belonged so thought I would post here. Not necessarily a grilling question but would love some help if possible. I am making tenderloin for Christmas Dinner with some friends. Instead of buying at my local butcher, I am bought my meat at Costco. The difference in cost was over $12 a pound. My question is what do I need to do to the untrimmed meat from Costco. I have never trimmed tenderloin myself before although I have had the meat from there and like it a lot. Any help would be appreciated.

Buckeye Bob

Bob, Trim any big layers of fat but more importantly remove the silver skin from the tender loin. I use a very sharp fillet knife for that task. That's the main prep work you need to do.

sometimes i buy my beef tenderloins from costco. they need a lot of trimming, but well worth the work!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lee Morris:
Very good video in the "Cooking Topics" section on preparing a tenderloin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

That video gave me all the help I needed to tackle a tenderloin with no problems. Watch it a couple times and you'll be good to go.

Bob, they are good tenders. Do as others have said...trimming silverskin. The other consideration is whether or not you try to even the cooking of the tender based on its size.

Sometimes I will tie the small tail back on itself so that it cooks about as fast as the thicker part. Butcher string will help hold everything together if you take the time. If there is the side piece of meat, I'll trim it off and do a roll and grill it like a steak. A reward for the cook perhaps....

Time-if you haven't trimmed one in a while, count on 30-40 minutes. No need to be rushed.

Most of my recent tenders have been done on a gas grill-taking 30-35 minutes on ave. Leave ample time for a rest. Enjoy!

I got it done. It certainly doesn't look nearly as pretty as the ones I buy from the butcher but I think it will do. I mostly followed the instructions from this site. Very helpful both the video and the comments from you all. Thanks to everyone for their help. I will try and post some pics.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all,

Bob

Back