Temperature Gauge

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
I have the "old" model of the WSM 19" which lacks a temperature gauge and I use a Maverick ET-7 to control the temperature. I am curious how effective and acurate is the Temperature Gauge on the new WSM and if this would make my "Maverick" obsolete in regards to controling the temperature in a WSM.

Richard

WSM(Old Model), OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

Mine is accurate. Just checked it last night and it was right on the nose at 212 degrees in boiling water. Held it there for about a minute and didn't budge from 212 degrees. However, I still use my ET73 to measure the grate temp, which for reason on the last cook was 15 degrees hotter than my lid temp. That is the reason I checked all of my therms last night and they were all accurate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Erickson:
However, I still use my ET73 to measure the grate temp, which for reason on the last cook was 15 degrees hotter than my lid temp. That is the reason I checked all of my therms last night and they were all accurate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have done the same with regards to testing all of mine. I only have 3 smokes under my belt, but my grate temps consistently run quite a bit warmer than my lid temp, despite what I read here on the forums before getting started.

Perhaps it has to do with the rather short stem on the back of the WSM provided thermo compared to the longer stems on the Tel-Tru's that others are running on their older WSM's?

Back