Temp spikes after lifting lid

Grant Narita

TVWBB Fan
I have only used the smoker twice... Sometimes after lifting off the top to foil the ribs or take the foil off the temp has fallen when I put the lid back on.. But other times with the lid off for 2-3 minutes, the temp would be hotter after putting the lid back on. Today I had the lid off about 7-10 minutes while I carefully took the foil off all four slabs of ribs. I kept two slabs in the smoker, pulled the other two off, and returned inside. I then checked the probe and it had gone from 255-355! I had only one lower vent and the exhaust vent open, and closed everything after it jumped to 355. Fortunately I only needed to keep the ribs in there for a few more min.

What would cause it to jump so much? Also, how would I get it back down? After closing all the vents, even the top vent, after an hour it was still at 330.

I should add the WSM was in the sun and it was about 88 outside. For the first 3 1/2 hours I maintained the temp around 260.

Last edited:
I prefer to do my work on a side table to prevent flare ups. I open the cooker, get my food off, and close it quickly. I do what I have to do and then open the cooker and replace the food and close it quickly. I hope this helps.

7-10 mins would turn your smoker into a grill. That much oxygen getting to the fire is definitely gonna cause it to heat up.

Sometimes when I need to get the temp up I open the door for just a few minutes and even that will bring the temps up if left for too long.

Try to do as said and take the lid off only to remove the food to a side table or pan, then put the lid back on

As far as the temps dropping, you didn't say if you are using the lid thermometer or a probe type. I have found that the lid thermo can be all over the place reading higher and lower than actual grate temps, based on many factors, and therefore are not very reliable

7-10 mins would turn your smoker into a grill. That much oxygen getting to the fire is definitely gonna cause it to heat up.

Sometimes when I need to get the temp up I open the door for just a few minutes and even that will bring the temps up if left for too long.

Try to do as said and take the lid off only to remove the food to a side table or pan, then put the lid back on

As far as the temps dropping, you didn't say if you are using the lid thermometer or a probe type. I have found that the lid thermo can be all over the place reading higher and lower than actual grate temps, based on many factors, and therefore are not very reliable

I had the wireless temp probe. This was the first time I had four slabs wrapped in foil, on the top and bottom. It took time to first carefully remove the foil from each of the slabs on top, without spilling too much from the foil. Then moved the top grate with the two now foil-less slabs on top of my grill while I then took more time to try and take the foil out from underneath both of the slabs on the bottom rack. Then I went inside, grabbed a pan, and took the two lower slabs off since they were done. I then put the top back on with the two slabs, and put the sauce on before closing the lid.

I thought that would be faster, but now I suppose it would be faster to take all four out while still wrapped in foil, put the lid back on, then unwrap them, since that takes some time when you don't want to spill all the apple juice in the foil!

I prefer to do my work on a side table to prevent flare ups. I open the cooker, get my food off, and close it quickly. I do what I have to do and then open the cooker and replace the food and close it quickly. I hope this helps.

Yeah, I think this is the solution. Plus, had trouble taking off the foil within the smoker (especially on the bottom rack) without the liquid inside spilling...

Back