Temp. Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Pietranczyk

TVWBB Member
I have a Performer that I absolutely love but I have the absolute darnedest time controlling the temp. Is it better to keep the lid vent open throughout the cook process and control the bottom air flow vent or Vice Versa.

The other question I have is regarding the use of the 2 Charcoal baskets. Necessary or un-necessary?

Also any tips on smoking in the performer are appreciated!

I've heard of lots of folks that don't use the 2 charcoal baskets that sit on the side when they want to do some indirect cooking/smoking. Some folks use bricks to hold the coals back and some just make a tight pile or let their waterpan hold the coals to the side.

Keith,
Derek covered the holder question well.

As far as vents, the top should be full open at all times.
Control the heat with the bottom vents only.
Barely cracked open is best for long smokes, just keep a check on your hood temp and adjust to more open if you need more heat, or close a bit more to reduce heat.
And give a little time for the adjustments to change the temp.

Good luck and enjoy that Performer!

Keep the top vent fully open the entire cook, just use the bottom vents. I like to use the bump method instead of the grab and go for adjustments. For smoking just barely crack the bottom vent open.

I agree that the baskets are a great idea, but not so great to use. Lighting charcoal in them is a whole different challenge. Mine just sit on the lower platform 99.9% of the time. If you want to do some indirect cooking or smoking, check out this thread.

Smoking in the kettle probably uses more charcoal than the WSM, but I already have a performer, and it works very well to smoke the items that I like. More importantly, the Mrs knows I do OK with my performer, so funding is a little more difficult to secure. (Due to the current economic conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off) Give it time, you'll figure it out, and have some good food to eat along the way!

i use the charcoal baskets so i can move the fire to any area of the grill that i want with a pair of tongs. One key to keeping a low temp on the kettle (which also applies to the wsm) is starting with low heat. Only light about 8 or so briquets to start with and once they are going add unlit on top of them. I added markings on the ring where the bottom air control lever resides to indicate closed-half-fully open positions...That way you dont have to take the lid off to see how much air gap the vents have. Also on the kettle if the temp starts coming up too high you may have to adjust the top vent to about half open position if you already adjusted the lower vent to less than 1/4 open....Place a drip pan in the center charcoal grate and keep the heat to the edges away from the food...

I use the baskets, but set each one up with its own 'mini minion'. 2-6 lit briqs in each is plenty. Then, just do what the others have mentioned. Top vent open, bottom barely open. You may have to add some unlit coals during the cook, but this method gets me to 300 degrees and keeps me there pretty consistently. This is how I do ribs now, unless I'm doing a lot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
Change the temp by using the bottom vents is the key.

I did like this : http://www.hotsmokebbq.com/002...tom_vent_marking.php

Actually helps alot.

Bless//Me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, i've been using this method for several years and it works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back