Tell me about your first brisket on the smokefire.

Bob Erdman

TVWBB Pro
This will be my first attempt at a brisket. Still undecided if I want to go low and slow or try the high heat method I read about in the Beef section of the site. Any advice is appreciated.

Here's a pic of the placement. If I smoked one tomorrow I'd probably place it on the upper rack. I have a love/hate relationship with that rack; I wish it were as deep as the rails allow it to be.

20210704_104621.jpg

Here's a pic of the placement. If I smoked one tomorrow I'd probably place it on the upper rack. I have a love/hate relationship with that rack; I wish it were as deep as the rails allow it to be.

View attachment 71066
You know on my new ZGrill the upper rack is only about 1/2 the depth (maybe just a tad more) and I LOVE that. It makes accessing the lower rack much easier and it slides out to stops to make getting to what you are cooking on it, easier to get. IIRC the SmokeFire has the same type arrangement

I have only ever done low and slow, although I have repped a contest where a competitor came late a did a hot and fast Snake River Farms waygu brisket (he gave me some after the contest) and finished in the top 3 as I recall. Here’s one of my low and slows.
1684890923910.png
1684890950552.jpeg

Low and slow. Smokeboost about an hour and a half or little longer, spritzing every ~.5-.75hrs. I use foil pans, put brisket in, pour some of my spritz in (almost always apple cider vinegar) and wrap the top with foil. Always killer

Great info, my confidence is building. I'm not worried about the smokefire. I think low and slow on the top rack with a water pan underneath is how I'm going to try it.

I'm not starting my cook at 3:30 am though, lol. I'll probable start at around 5 am. Sunday will be the fun day.

Those are some fine looking briskets!

How long do you let it rest? I know I'm not going to start cutting it up right after it's done, but is a long rest critical to the finished brisket?

BFletcher, I loved the cook log and chart. 👍

How long do you let it rest? I know I'm not going to start cutting it up right after it's done, but is a long rest critical to the finished brisket?
I'm not an expert but I think I typically rest an uncovered or loosely-tinted brisket on the countertop for ~20 minutes before slicing. If I need to hold it for span of time (such as 1+ hours) I keep it wrapped and then bundle a beach towel over it and place it in a cooler for the hold.

Don't tell the wife about the beach towel.

I'm not an expert but I think I typically rest an uncovered or loosely-tinted brisket on the countertop for ~20 minutes before slicing. If I need to hold it for span of time (such as 1+ hours) I keep it wrapped and then bundle a beach towel over it and place it in a cooler for the hold.

Don't tell the wife about the beach towel.
Yeah, I wrapped things in foil and then kitchen towels to hold the heat. Foil leaked, towels soaked with juices. Wife VERY unhappy.

At least 2 hours. In a cooler wrapped. I haven’t had any negative encounters resting even longer.

Nothing less than 2.

I do the long wraps when I make the rib roasts on the pellet cooker. They get first wrap in butcher or parchment paper, foil, then bubble wrap, then large towel and then into the only good thing that came from Omaha Steaks (the cooler) rest it for 3 hours or so like that. Then seared off at about 450 to 500 either on a gasser or the pellet grill cranked up to highest (500) heat. Outstanding

I will be watching, I too have never cooked a Brisket on my SF. Heck, I've never used my top rack. If it were me, I'd probably just do either the point (preferred) or the flat instead of a full brisket for my first run. Good luck, looking forward to seeing how it turns out

I will be watching, I too have never cooked a Brisket on my SF. Heck, I've never used my top rack. If it were me, I'd probably just do either the point (preferred) or the flat instead of a full brisket for my first run. Good luck, looking forward to seeing how it turns out
If you’re only doing one do the point first, flats are a tough one to nail.
Get a small packer at Costco and give it a go. Highly recommend the top rack.
2nd and best brisket I’ve cooked.
IMG_4366.jpegIMG_4365.jpegEdit: second brisket in the SmokeFire, I did a few on my WSM and due to some poor cocktail induced decisions I had to toss the first 2.

Last edited:

Back