Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

Well I finally did this AM what I have been fearing I would do...............................As those of you who own a thermal Technivorm know the pot has 2 lids. A flow through and a sealed one. Well, guess which one I tried to brew coffee with this AM? What a mess!

Well I finally did this AM what I have been fearing I would do...............................As those of you who own a thermal Technivorm know the pot has 2 lids. A flow through and a sealed one. Well, guess which one I tried to brew coffee with this AM? What a mess!
Haha...what a coincidence, I had mine overflow all over the counter this AM too. I guess if the carafe isn't just perfectly positioned under the basket for the auto drip stop...your morning starts off lousy.
Actually, I think a weak point on the model I have is the cheap plastic "plate" that just slips under the unit that the carafe sits on. I've been thinking of super gluing it to the main unit body.

Yeah, in my case I used the wrong lid. I did not install the flow through lid (still sleepy I guess). Anyway I wasted nearly a full pot before I saw what I did. I'm kinda surprised you had that issue though. There is a switch that is supposed to prevent the brewer from turning on if not positioned just right

Yeah, in my case I used the wrong lid. I did not install the flow through lid (still sleepy I guess). Anyway I wasted nearly a full pot before I saw what I did. I'm kinda surprised you had that issue though. There is a switch that is supposed to prevent the brewer from turning on if not positioned just right
I know. It's a small white button. The carafe was in far enough to press it.

I know. It's a small white button. The carafe was in far enough to press it.
Yeah, funny thing is if you try to brew with the stopper lid it's really hard to put the carafe in place far enough to turn on. But, you can "force" it in. Which in my sleepy state I apparently did. :D Did not make same mistake today :D

Yeah, funny thing is if you try to brew with the stopper lid it's really hard to put the carafe in place far enough to turn on. But, you can "force" it in. Which in my sleepy state I apparently did. :D Did not make same mistake today :D
All went well this AM here too. I also dialed down the Baratza Encore grinder to about 16-17 for a coarser grind. I have been stopping the brew cycle after about 60 seconds for the "bloom", waiting 30 seconds and then letting the brew cycle complete. I don't know if it's voodoo, or if it has any effect on the taste overall. I might skip that going forward.

Well I was running low on my Mellita filters so I went on Amazon and found a nice price on actual Technivorm ones. Ordered a 2 box deal. I think the Mellita is more "porous" so I am hoping the Technivorm ones will allow a little better "contact" with the grinds. Will report back once I dig into the box

Well I was running low on my Mellita filters so I went on Amazon and found a nice price on actual Technivorm ones. Ordered a 2 box deal. I think the Mellita is more "porous" so I am hoping the Technivorm ones will allow a little better "contact" with the grinds. Will report back once I dig into the box
I got two boxes of Filtropa filters with the two Moccamasters I bought. I believe Filtropa makes the Technivorm filters for them and they are the same. They are excellent. The Melitta filters seem fine but a bit smaller and the 400 pack of Rockline from Costco are my least favorite.

I got two boxes of Filtropa filters with the two Moccamasters I bought. I believe Filtropa makes the Technivorm filters for them and they are the same. They are excellent. The Melitta filters seem fine but a bit smaller and the 400 pack of Rockline from Costco are my least favorite.
I was gonna buy the Filtropa but they were outta stock on Prime, and would not deliver until I was going to be out of the Mellita ones. So I got the Moccamaster ones. They were Prime and they were cheaper anyway.

I was gonna buy the Filtropa but they were outta stock on Prime, and would not deliver until I was going to be out of the Mellita ones. So I got the Moccamaster ones. They were Prime and they were cheaper anyway.
Sometimes the Acme(Philly area grocery) has the Melittas for buy one get one at $5. Not bad.
The Rocklines are decent but seem small and collapse sometimes when I rinse the filter before dumping in the coffee.

I never bother rinsing a filter. Seems like way too much bother for me :D
I like the filter wet so it clings to the sides of the filter holder and prevents it from collapsing before I dump the ground coffee in. Keeps it all in place. Anything to avoid that mess I found on the counter the other day.

My current drip coffee maker is dying and I need a new one. I watched this thread for a while but lost track of it and am seriously considering a MM and I'm trying to decide between the thermos, or the glass carafe, and also auto-shutoff or manual.

This will be my daily driver.

I read @LMichaels comment that the carafe doesn't keep the coffee as hot, but I think that's OK. I drink two 8oz cups first thing and then a cup or two later in the day. I'm already microwaving the third/fourth cup or making ice coffee if its hot out.

Which makes me wonder if I should just get one with the Glass carafe?

If it matters, I also have a couple of french presses and and a bialletti moka pot. I tend to use these on weekends when I have more time or want something a little different.

I would never buy another glass carafe machine. Due to the extreme bitterness coffee takes on after being burned by the carafe heater for even just a few minutes.

Technically they're auto shutoff in that the boiling element does shut itself off but you do have to turn the switch off eventually. I have forgotten a few times with no ill effects. But, it's a very basic machine. No automatic wizardry. When you want coffee you make coffee

Back