Tank connection questions

My 1998 Genesis 1000 that I bought new came with that type of "quick connector." Was able to get it filled until about 2006 then they wouldn't fill those any more.

That’s basically what the previous owner said. Luckily, this new regulator was $9 off amazon, and I used a first-time-user promo code to “PropaneTaxi” to have the old tank exchanged for $7 total.
If anyone has Propane Taxi in their area, I couldn’t recommend more for the first time promo code. After your first use it seems to match the market in cost with delivery, but that first time is a great deal!

I would probably just remove the angle adapter from the manifold if you are having trouble with the hose to angle adapter connection.

If it was me, this is what I would do. I would just get a good channel lock pliers or even a vice grip locking pliers and clamp down on the hose collet and twist away. If the collet keeps spinning, then clamp down further on the connector itself. If it twists off, no biggy, then just remove the whole angle adapter from the manifold and replace that with a 1/8" male NPT to 3/8" male Flare adapter, buy a new hose and regulator and connect it.

I would probably just remove the angle adapter from the manifold if you are having trouble with the hose to angle adapter connection.

If it was me, this is what I would do. I would just get a good channel lock pliers or even a vice grip locking pliers and clamp down on the hose collet and twist away. If the collet keeps spinning, then clamp down further on the connector itself. If it twists off, no biggy, then just remove the whole angle adapter from the manifold and replace that with a 1/8" male NPT to 3/8" male Flare adapter, buy a new hose and regulator and connect it.
1695A376-44FB-40DC-B224-9A0E17A348FB.jpeg
In Bruce we trust! As always, thanks big time! Excited to put this bad boy together later this week!

You can buy another angle adapter that is 1/8 male NPT x 1/8 female NPT angle adapter and then get a 1/8 male NPT x 3/8" male Flare adpater to connect to it so you can use a regular 3/8" lp hose and regulator, or you can just get an LP hose with the 1/8" male NPT connector like the original one. Another option is to connect the 1/8 male NPT x 3/8 male flare directly to the manifold. Skipping the angle adapter makes it simpler and less expensive, but then the hose will stick straight down which can be annoying.

If he has a vice, he might be able to salvage the existing 45 fitting by putting that fitting lightly in a vice and going at it like before on the hose fitting. Looks like pipe dope on the threads. Worse comes to worse, it doesn't work.

Wanted to give a final post on this thread. Thanks to the knowledge I have gathered in this thread and on this forum, my buddy got a great BDay present! He and I had a blast working on it together too!

477AC065-85C3-49EC-B1BF-0FEA9C182051.jpeg
6C1BA76B-BB95-4CCF-BC83-3E743D89AFBB.jpegDCB1FD92-4600-4F5C-B304-20E1A78EC26D.jpeg3FE87AEE-E10F-47B6-99C2-08F2D1B71D27.jpegBBE1F943-D340-4789-B4AF-61CA1A611102.jpeg
I believe replacing the side tables with stained wood is on the future agenda, but for now, I think it looks great!

Those first couple pictures had me worried with no tables and the legs resting on bricks. hahaha. Nice job. That is an awesome grilling machine.

Hey Avery I just went through and read and re read this thread a couple of times so I wont have to bug the pro's with the same questions. I have the exact same scenario with my current resto and I am finally going to tackle it this weekend. All of that talk about NPT and flare and such is confusing as hell.....but as I read it a few times it all started to make some sense. Looks like in the end removing your angle adapter was the way to go. Again your grill really turned out great! Congrats!

Ya know from what u guys have taught me.....some of the recommended regulator hoses were not correct. I was reading and placing orders for my parts.......You guys have taught me I need the 11wc vs the 1psi. Even though I must admit as I have ordered incorrectly in the past the 1 psi sure gets those grills rollin hot hot hot......but I want to make Larry proud and say I know 1psi is too much and go with 11wc......
I have no idea how the pounds per square inch and the WC....water column? just a guess.....compare but just going off of what I have learned.

Back