Tank connection questions

Thanks!

So a few things to check my understanding, just because I am completely new to these propane line replacements.
YES, Exactly.
No, just use pipe dope. This is what I use. Just make sure whatever pipe dope you use is rated for LP Gas. DO NOT use it on the flare side of a flare connection. Those connections are designed to be used without sealant.

@LMichaels - You mentioned no tape, and that the dope would be enough, but I see yellow tape listed on the forum every now and then. If its a preference, I'll just go with whatever these veterans recommend.

The next step will be taking the old tanks to exchange at Walmart or something.

As always, thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
That one in the second photo looks actually dangerous. Anyway tape does not work well on small diameter fittings. Was taught that by someone in the trades. Up to 3/8" NPT use dope only. Over 3/8 either is fine but tape is easier on those

That one in the second photo looks actually dangerous. Anyway tape does not work well on small diameter fittings. Was taught that by someone in the trades. Up to 3/8" NPT use dope only. Over 3/8 either is fine but tape is easier on those
Sounds good! Going to snag some dope tomorrow!
And in terms of danger, when I picked up the grill they told me that they tried for 15 minutes to get it off with no luck. That might be why it looks torn up. I haven’t tried to remove the current hose personally, but anything I should be aware of when I do?

You could just take that angle adapter out of the manifold and connect the 1/8" NPT to 3/8" Flare adapter straight to the manifold. You don't need that angle adapter.

You could just take that angle adapter out of the manifold and connect the 1/8" NPT to 3/8" Flare adapter straight to the manifold. You don't need that angle adapter.
Makes sense! Ill see what it looks like when Im in there and see how easily it comes off. If it seems solid, Ill just leave it. Thanks for the advice!

Wowza! the pros were excellent in explaining all of that stuff and I retained almost none of it.......except the dope part. I will just remember this thread for my Blueberry resto......I will be reassembling it in the near future and will need to do one of these options. I asked the same question a while back and was suggested to buy an adapter and so I did.....fingers crossed. My old schooler has the angled fitting coming out of the manifold like in your pic. Thanks pros.......us regular guys appreciate the knowledge

Okay! Finally assembling this grill! Is this normal for how far I should be able to get the new connector on? I muscled it as far as I could with a wrench but still seeing lots of threading. That okay?
C90A2FD0-B469-4D88-9A04-FBB9B06BA0E7.jpeg

Ahymel,
Yes, just tighten the adapter to the manifold, it's pipe thread so you will have some sticking out like your picture, totally normal.
You did not need to use any sealant on the flare fitting though, it will seal just fine by tightening.

You do need to use a sealant on the 1/8" pipe thread fitting where it enters the Manifold though.

Jeff

Ahymel,
Yes, just tighten the adapter to the manifold, it's pipe thread so you will have some sticking out like your picture, totally normal.
You did not need to use any sealant on the flare fitting though, it will seal just fine by tightening.

You do need to use a sealant on the 1/8" pipe thread fitting where it enters the Manifold though.

Jeff
Okay, I appreciate the response. So I messed up?
The top most connection was already there on the manifold (green arrow), but the bottom connection I just made with the hose I purchased (red arrow). You mean because I didn’t mess with the adapter (it was already there), all I needed was to attach the new flare fitting which I think cane with the hose someone recommended to me. Should I take the hose off and remove the sealant?

3A075DC5-483C-4D85-BDCC-8118B545281F.jpeg

Ummm, that is a NO NO. You should not use pipe dope on a flare connection which it looks like you did. Will it cause problems? Probably not, but in the future, don't use pipe dope on them. On the NPT connection, sure.

Ummm, that is a NO NO. You should not use pipe dope on a flare connection which it looks like you did. Will it cause problems? Probably not, but in the future, don't use pipe dope on them. On the NPT connection, sure.

Good to know! Thanks!
So looking back on this thread, I suppose the requirement of dope was for replacing that 45 degree angle adapter that attaches right to the manifold. Noted! Thanks!

Yes, those adapters use the NPT threads. On your manifold, whoever put that flare adapter in the manifold should have used pipe dope on the NPT side that goes into the manifold.

Just out of curiosity , what problems would be caused by using the dope on the flare fitting?

Never ever use dope or tape on a flare fitting. It could cause the taper to not seat correctly and then you have leaks. The flare fitting works by seating the carefully machined surfaces against each other. OP also you do NOT need to break your man parts trying to tighten these things

That is a standard "quick connect". They are still used, however, they cannot be put on propane tanks any longer. They were very common 30 years ago or so. I get a lot of my rehab grills that have them. I just replace the hose and regulator as I get them.

My 1998 Genesis 1000 that I bought new came with that type of "quick connector." Was able to get it filled until about 2006 then they wouldn't fill those any more.

Never ever use dope or tape on a flare fitting. It could cause the taper to not seat correctly and then you have leaks. The flare fitting works by seating the carefully machined surfaces against each other. OP also you do NOT need to break your man parts trying to tighten these things
Thanks Larry

Back