Tank connection questions

AHymel

TVWBB Fan
Working casually on two grills.

Grill number one is a flip grill and has a partially full tank that came with it. Sadly I’m having trouble getting the tank attached properly and it’s leaking. Do I need some sort of sealant or pipe tape on the inside of these threads? And if so, can anyone recommend one so that I can safely sell this?

The left connection (in this picture) is fine and can be tightened with a wrench. The gas seems to be escaping from the right connection, which is significantly smaller. The threads look like they have some old tape (visible white in the photo) on them so wanted to ask what to buy.

EE9A889A-904C-4DB4-87D2-39775242A37A.jpeg

The next grill is going to be for a close friend who will likely update it to a more modern connection. I also snagged this grill from a neighbor who gave an empty tank with it. Should I recommend a new adapter, or a completely new hose with the easy, newer connection? I believe the previous owner told me that these are now considered “unsafe” and that she always had trouble finding a place to refill it?

35776276-9593-446F-BDEB-AB73FA474285.jpeg

Last edited:
A: One Grill #1 that looks like regular teflon (white) tape. After cleaning off the old tape, it should be replaced with yellow teflon made for gas or pipe dope for gas.

Yah, your best bet is to replace the connectors on each hose to the modern QCC1 (Acme) connector or simply replace the entire hose and regulator.
Many places won't refill those tanks any longer and if you use a tank exchange place, they will give you a tank that uses the new style connector. The top connector will still work with it, but the quick connect in the second picture will not.
If you have leaks, it is just a good time to replace and update them to the new style to avoid problems in the future.
A new hose and regulator will cost you under ten bucks if you have a 3/8" flare connection at the manifold and a bit under $20 if you have the 1/8" NPT connection.

3/8" Flare connection for $9.
***Deleted***

1/8" NPT connection for $16.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0180YJSF0/?tag=tvwb-20

Then, go to walmart and exchange both of those tanks for $15 each for new prefilled tanks that will have the new style connectors. Welcome to the modern age of gas grills.

Last edited:
I don't think I had ever seen a tank with a schrader connection like my air tools. When I started with propane back in the mid 80's they were the old style now obsolete.

That is a standard "quick connect". They are still used, however, they cannot be put on propane tanks any longer. They were very common 30 years ago or so. I get a lot of my rehab grills that have them. I just replace the hose and regulator as I get them.

Thanks for all the help y’all!

Yah, your best bet is to replace the connectors on each hose to the modern QCC1 (Acme) connector or simply replace the entire hose and regulator.
Many places won't refill those tanks any longer and if you use a tank exchange place, they will give you a tank that uses the new style connector. The top connector will still work with it, but the quick connect in the second picture will not.
If you have leaks, it is just a good time to replace and update them to the new style to avoid problems in the future.
A new hose and regulator will cost you under ten bucks if you have a 3/8" flare connection at the manifold and a bit under $20 if you have the 1/8" NPT connection.

3/8" Flare connection for $9.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078K8DSXC/?tag=TVWB-20

1/8" NPT connection for $16.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0180YJSF0/?tag=TVWB-20

Then, go to walmart and exchange both of those tanks for $15 each for new prefilled tanks that will have the new style connectors. Welcome to the modern age of gas grills.
Easy way to check which size I need?

Look at where the hose connects to the manifold. If the hose is connected there with the 1/8" NPT, then that is what you need. But it might already have a 1/8" NPT to 3/8" flare adapter on there. THen you just need the hose with the 3/8" flare connection. If you post a photo of where your hose connects to the manifold, I or someone else will be able to clarify exactly what you need.

I would install a 1/8" NPT to 3/8 male flare adapter. Then you have many more regulators and hoses available off the shelf. Don't forget the PTFE Pipe Dope. Don't use tape. Threads are too small for tape

For someone with less experience it's important to mention that NPT (National Pipe Thread) sizes are determined by the INSIDE diameter of the pipe. 1/8" NPT is approximately .405" outside diameter (~13/32"), 3/8" NPT is aprroximately .675" outside diameter (~11/16")

That first tank is old. No OPD valve on it, so you won't be able to legally get it filled or even swap it with the exchange-a-tank deals. There should be a date stamped on the side. Refillers aren't supposed to refill if the tank is over 12 years. That's Georgia, other states might be different

You might be able to get some places to fill it, but they are not supposed to. I'd try to do an exchange and hope they don't check the old tank... get a newer one that way. The newer tanks have outside and inside threads....the older one you have pictured just has the inside threads. And more importantly the newer tanks have the OPD valve, overfill-protection device. Safer than the old ones.

I have returned tanks with old connectors on them to several different tank swap places and never had a problem. I have done it with multiple Walmarts. I had one C/S guy tell me the don't care if they have the old connectors. They just replace the connectors with the new style at the refill site and recertify the tank and refill. I guess it could be state thing, but I don't think most of the C/S guys at walmart even know the difference.

Grill #1 photo looks as if it is the 3/8" flare that the hose is attached to. Grill #2 photo would need the adapter that Bruce posted a link for and screw into the 45 degree fitting. No tape or dope on the flare fittings, but is needed where the tape is screwing into the 45 degree fitting.

Grill #1 photo looks as if it is the 3/8" flare that the hose is attached to. Grill #2 photo would need the adapter that Bruce posted a link for and screw into the 45 degree fitting. No tape or dope on the flare fittings, but is needed where the tape is screwing into the 45 degree fitting.

Thanks!

So a few things to check my understanding, just because I am completely new to these propane line replacements.
@LMichaels - You mentioned no tape, and that the dope would be enough, but I see yellow tape listed on the forum every now and then. If its a preference, I'll just go with whatever these veterans recommend.

The next step will be taking the old tanks to exchange at Walmart or something.

As always, thanks for the help!

Grill #1 should only need the standard regulator and hose assembly. It should be a 3/8" flare female on the end of the hose.
Grill #2 needs the adapter Bruce provided the link for. Your choice on tape or dope, LMichaels is the veteran and prefers the dope. Only place you need it is on the 1/8" male threads that go into your 45 degree fitting. None on the flare connections. I already had yellow teflon, so that is what I used. Once done, you can use the same standard regulator and hose assembly like Grill #1

Last edited:
Grill #1 should only need the standard regulator and hose assembly. It should be a 3/8" flare female on the end of the hose.
Grill #2 needs the adapter Bruce provided the link for. Your choice on tape or dope, LMichaels is the veteran and prefers the dope. Only place you need it is on the 1/8" male threads that go into your 45 degree fitting. None on the flare connections. I already had yellow teflon, so that is what I used.
There any reason why I wouldn't need it on the straight connector, but do on the 45- degree connector? Just curious.

Straight connector doesn't need it unless you remove the fitting from the manifold. I wouldn't mess with that. Grill #2 is similar. I wouldn't take the fitting out of the manifold. Just put the new adapter into the 45 degree fitting. Why tempt fate.

Straight connector doesn't need it unless you remove it from the manifold. I wouldn't mess with that. Grill #2 is similar. I wouldn't take the fitting out of the manifold. Just put the new adapter into the 45 degree fitting. Why tempt fate.
Oh no, wasnt planning on it, just curious as this would be my first time. Just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks! Ordered the new hose for Grill #1. Will wait for feedback on those two dope/tape products and likely pick them up first thing tomorrow. Dan, thanks a lot for all your help!

Back