Talk myself out of a Members Mark "upgrade"?

“President Xi has instructed the PLA, the Chinese military leader-ship, to be ready by 2027 to invade Taiwan, but that doesn’t mean that he’s decided to invade in 2027 or any other year as well,” he said.

I myself would rather not support China so I refrain from spending my American currency for Chinese made goods whenever possible.

Just saying.

Yes. I will probably just keep it and not buy another grill. This is one of those sort of impulsive things where if I am honest with myself my Silver B works perfectly fine (except I guess for the slight hotter spot in the right upper quadrant)

The other thing I just realized is that while I am enamored with the look of a larger Stainless option, it will be covered all the time with a black cover so it's not like I can enjoy the look all the time
I was in our local Costco yesterday and saw this Weber Genesis II E335 for $899. It caught my eye because I thought it was the same as my E325 at first glimpse but the Costco model has a side burner. Mine doesn't.

I don’t know how it compares feature my feature to the MM but it's not a massive price difference.

Coming in late to the party. Gonna chime in. I see comments like "well that cast aluminum is a little thin" Well so is the new Weber, "oh there is painted steel in the cabinet" Hello, has anyone looked at the acres of painted steel on a Weber?
Now recently (late last summer) I went out on a limb and had been pondering going to a pellet grill. I looked at Weber EX models, Traeger, and a wealth of others who's names I can't keep all straight. I saw the Member's Mark Pro Pellet grill and was absolutely amazed at how well constructed it is. And it was $100 off at $399. Nah, I still could not pull the trigger. Went back to Costco and all the other places and tinny flimsy feeling stuff was 2X to 3X the price of the MM. Still could not pull the trigger. I mulled it over here in another thread and one of the "enablers" said grab it. Well, I not only grabbed it I did so for only $199. That being said? Now that I have it, even if I'd paid $399 or even $499 I would STILL be impressed with the build quality, sturdiness and performance of it. Yeah it's only got 2 probes, and no WIFI but then it didn't cost me $1000 plus either! IT has never ceased to amaze me.
I too am thinking about the MM Pro Series 5 burner grill you're pondering. As from a corrosion and other standpoint my Genesis may be nearing EOL So I too am pondering the exact same grill you are. Now here's the rub. I LOOOOOOVE to rotisserie cook and one thing the true Genesis (not the new ones with front controls) I only consider the side control Weber a "true" Genesis) does is rotisserie. Now this is something I have to justify. Well, I still have my Wolf with a giant rear mounted IR burner that does exceptional IR rotisserie cooking. And is exceptional at pizza making.
So I could spend LOTS of time and $$$$ (time of which I am in very short supply), to refurb my Genesis or simply go to Sam's and buy the MM
If it's ANYWHERE near close to being as good as the pellet grill is I will be a VERY happy guy.
One other very important thing? Sam's does something Weber never will. The Member's Mark guarantee
So bottom line? IMO the MM is WELL worth it and IMO (especially for the $$$$) a far better buy than a new Genesis.
And for the "not buying made in China crowd" wake up. Most of a new Weber maybe better than 90% of it is made there

Forget the temptation of shiny objects. When it comes to useful life span, neither Weber (nor anyone else for that matter) has ever offered a better grill than a Silver B which renders any sort of "upgrade" mentality moot. Try to change my mind...you won't do it.

Yep that is what Rational Brain keeps telling me. I have a perfectly fine grill that I have maintained over time (masked off and sprayed the cover end caps with high heat black enamel a number of years ago when the factory paint was starting to peel, new grates as needed, one set of new OEM burner tubes a few years back, etc. Other than the hotter spot I am noticing up in the upper right quadrant I have no complaints and that is a small one for sure.

A relative got the newer larger 3 burner Weber (can't recall the model number) and when I have cooked with him on it it seems to take a long time to get up to temp and never seems able to really crank super hot if needed for a sear.

Will probably let the temptation for a new stainless monolith to pass....like I said it is covered under a black grill cover all the time anyway so except for the times when it is being used, a big expensive shiny one doesn't really change the look of my patio anyway

Larry: I was wondering when you would get in on the discussion. I am still waiting for you to announce you drug home that 5 burner MM. :)

Larry: I was wondering when you would get in on the discussion. I am still waiting for you to announce you drug home that 5 burner MM. :)
Well a lot will depend on what I find this spring when I take stock of my Genesis. The MM pushes all the "right buttons"/ Well made, sturdy, great materials, side burner (which is also an IR searing burner) for those days I need to make a thin (shudder the thought) steak. Honestly the only wrong button it pushes is not being a rotisserie machine. But I got that covered in the Wolf. Yeah I only pull that monster out in good weather but then too good weather is the only time I do pizza on the grill or spin something. So what am I giving up?
Rest assured if I feel after analysis that (for me anyway) the Genesis is at EOL it will NOT be trashed. It will be offered up here (either as bits and pieces or whole) to you rehabbers who might just find a treasure you need or something to fix your current treasure. It has a good lid, I think the fire box is solid (no holes but not sure), and it certainly is not warped. Good side burner, manifold (NG), scale (yes it was converted), control panel (faded), some frame pieces but the frame is where my issues lie. Rust has invaded the X member. No I don't know how to weld and not gonna buy one to learn, other cross members look like they're "giving up the ghost", down legs as well.
Honestly, could it be "saved?" absolutely! But (here is the big "but". I have to weigh my time and investment to do so against my business and against my time with my grandchildren and other family. Against simply walking into Sam's and coming home with something new that will likely serve me VERY well for the next 10 to 20 years. And hell, even if it makes it to only 8 years and it's EOL. What am I out? Heck all things being equal IDK if I will make it 8 years :D (would love to make it FAR more) but let's be realistic.
Bottom line, the Genesis will be taken apart, cleaned and analyzed soon. Depending on what I find will determine if a MM comes home with me. I'm not ruling out others BTW, just it seems Sam's has learned how to get something bult well. My pellet grill proves it
I do realize comments here may "step on some toes". It's not my intent. My intent is only to highlight what we perceive as "value" and that can vary from person to person

Agree with Larry, sometimes less is better. I have a E/W E320 NG which is our daily driver. Also have my original 1998 gen 1000 which I converted to a 2000. I also purchased a Camp Chef basic pellet grill, no bells or whistles and I monitor with a Thermo works smoke.
Three years and a lot of cooks and it's been faultless.
With the E/W burners rotisserie cooking is easy and works great.
Oh and welcome to the forum it's a great place to hang out.

Agree with Larry, sometimes less is better. I have a E/W E320 NG which is our daily driver. Also have my original 1998 gen 1000 which I converted to a 2000. I also purchased a Camp Chef basic pellet grill, no bells or whistles and I monitor with a Thermo works smoke.
Three years and a lot of cooks and it's been faultless.
With the E/W burners rotisserie cooking is easy and works great.
Oh and welcome to the forum it's a great place to hang out.
Thanks

For some reason I feel like some of you would also be on the Ariens snowblower forum I was on in the past....just a feeling of the type of person who enjoys this stuff

On my Silver B at one point when I was spraying the end caps I also sprayed the frame with the rustoleoum. I haven't looked closely but it feels like everything is still intact frame wise. I need to give the inside a good clean out and see if I need to wire brush any of the burners or figure out why it is hotter on the right side. It's not a huge difference but with a line of 6 brats the rightmost ones are always getting crispier than the left and so I need to rotate the placement in the line. Remember that the Silver B has the horizontal burners (left to right not forward and backward) but you guys already knew that haha

Yep, cleaning the burners should help a lot. I am not on a specific Ariens Snowblower forum, but I do own an Ariens snowblower. I am on a couple small engine forums too. LOL.

Yep, cleaning the burners should help a lot. I am not on a specific Ariens Snowblower forum, but I do own an Ariens snowblower. I am on a couple small engine forums too. LOL.

Just wire brush them from the outside to make sure all the holes are fully open yes?

Also I feel obliged to point out that a hot spot isn't necessarily that bad, and is often even good. Many of our charcoal using brethren create hot spots on purpose. Even for a dead even cook like covering the grill with hot dogs, some people will still prefer theirs darker.

Just wire brush them from the outside to make sure all the holes are fully open yes?
Usually this is all you need if you maintain them regular. If they haven't been cleaned for a long time, you may have to get into each hole with a tool and clean them up one hole at at time. At some point, a replacement might be in order as well.

If occasionally needing more capacity while not wanting to burn up lots of propane, Bruce's recommendation of a used Silver A would by my idea of an easy way to go. As you already are comfortable maintaining this style of grill, no surprises and even cheaper to maintain than the Silver B. I see them turn up regularly in the $50 range, often in great shape. They are very frugal on gas but heat up quickly with the smaller size. Easier to tuck away too.

Although I've added a slightly larger grill I've decided to keep the Silver A for extra capacity and quick cooks. These old Gennys are so easy and inexpensive to maintain. That's a high priority for me.

Of course new and shiny is attractive. Some prefer stainless. How much having a brand new grill matters to you and your wife is a factor too. New toys come with short term bragging rights but sturdy veterans have a story to tell for years to come.

Wants vs needs. Only you can answer that.

Since you already have a gasser, I’d recommend charcoal.

Always have enough charcoal on hand. No trips to fill up tanks. Better tasting food from a charcoal grill. Charcoal grills have advanced so much over the years that cooking with real charcoal now is a game changer. Multiple type cooks on a charcoal grill. No plugs and no hoses. It’s old school and the taste is superb.

If you really want to expand your cooking repertoire, go look at a E6 or S6. Yup, I’m a huge fan.

Been a gas cooker for 26 years and went back to charcoal. It’s a world of a difference.

Just throwing a wrench in your thought process. I’ll go back to just reading now.

Just from my perspective.. I bought and loved my 2000 Silver B. When I put in a pool, I added a big 5-burner Jenn-Aire grill with rear rotisserie burner . I just had to have it for pool party cooks. I found myself using and preferring the Silver B most of the time. While the big grill was great when needed, it took too long to heat up and was just too big for a daily gasser. When I moved, I kept the Silver B and sold the big grill. I do not miss it. I have since replaced the B with a new Weber and do prefer the new burner orientation as I do not rotisserie. If you need more space, add in a new Spirit II E-210 for about $500-watch for sales. I bought one for my grandson and it is a really nice little grill and not that much smaller than the B. You will also have the versatility of both burner orientations.

If your grill is cooking unevenly to a great extent, by all means pull the burners, make sure all holes are brushed cleaned and opened. If necessary, a small pick can be used to get any carbon and such out. Look carefully for cracks going lengthwise on the burners as well. Not always visible but when they heat up the crack can open and allow flame propagation to get uneven and of course heat output. Another trick given to me by a Weber CSR many years ago was to remove the main orifice from each valve and clean them well,

Back