Talk myself out of a Members Mark "upgrade"?

The Spirit 300 series is a nice transition from the Silver B. Same exact grid dimensions. When I replaced my Silver B, I stressed over Genesis vs Spirit. I wanted the sear station and it was a pricy upgrade in the Genesis line. I opted for the Spirit E-330 that had the sear station and side burner (space waster) and saved several hundred. Now that the Spirit is $819 and the entry level Genesis with sear station is $999, it is a harder decision. Of course all the other Genesis models are a lot higher. I do think the Spirit/Silver B size is optimal. The new burner orientation plus sear makes it more versatile for me. On my third year with it and zero rust. Also had no rust on my 20 year old B. Next door neighbor has a 5-6 year old Spirit 200 series with no rust. There is hope. Worst feature is the inside tank-awkward to change.

Probably the biggest benefits of the E/W grills vs N/S grills is that the E/W grills work so much better with a rotisserie and when indirect cooking longer meats such as ribs and briskets and Tenderloins, you can lay them lengthwise across the front or back with out having to cut them into sections.

If I were to go down for a new grill, I would buy the base model Genesis. I don't need or want connectivity, a side burner, or a sear burner.

Probably the biggest benefits of the E/W grills vs N/S grills is that the E/W grills work so much better with a rotisserie and when indirect cooking longer meats such as ribs and briskets and Tenderloins, you can lay them lengthwise across the front or back with out having to cut them into sections.
The new grill is deep enough to place the tenderloins N to S if using outside burners and if you are just using the right or left burner, you have tons of space for anything. I do find the heat is more even from left to right with the new orientation. The right side of the B was always hotter than the left. I had a grill with a rear infrared rotisserie but seldom used as it is cheaper and easier to get a Costco chicken, so that is no issue for me.

Last edited:

Back