Taking the tips off a few tri tips...?

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I bought an 18lb cryovac bag of usda choice peeled tri tip at Costco. I will vac seal these saving about a dollar a pound over the two packs.

The narrow end tip and the first few slices are usually medium well while the rest is med rare so they end up cutting board bites for the help.

I was kicking around an idea to trim the narrow end tips for something like hot and fast burnt ends or ???

Any ideas?

If you have a meat grinder, Tri Tip, Pork Belly and Italian Sausage make for some wonderful burgers
I happen to have some Italian sausage and a meat grinder. No pork belly, but I have some shoulder trimmings.

This sounds like a great idea!

With Pork Belly, I usually go 50/50 TT & PB. If I had to guess, I'd probably go 60 Shoulder and 40 Tri Tip. The sausage isn't overly measurable, maybe 2 or 3 percent. You can also add chopped onion, catch up, mustard, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, worcestershire sauce. Basically you'll be torn between making burgers or meatloaf, but hamburgers are always the better choice (IMHO)

The pork trimmings are probably 90% fat. I'll use it to try and get in a 70 to 75% range.

I thought I had frozen Italian sausage, but it is 95% lean ground pork.

When I get the TT out I'll see how much I have, but I like the idea of burgers.

Our favorite is the 50/50 TT & PB with just enough Italian sausage to put your taste buds into a frenzy. If you like onions, chop them up and throw them in. Egg & bread crumbs will help bind. Lately Winco has been selling pork butt strips, if you have one handy you might give it a look. Our Winco is somewhat butro, if you get in early enough you can beat most the dregs

Back