Taking pulled pork and ribs camping

Kyle H.

TVWBB Fan
I searched the forums quite a few different ways, and for the most part I think I'll be fine, but I wanted to see if anyone has any additional tips for my specific situation.

Originally I'd planned taking the WSM with me and smoking the meat at our campsite, but I decided it would just be too much hassle. Plus the threat of bears definitely swayed me. We leave early Friday morning so I'm taking a half day Thursday to smoked two butts and two racks of spares. I'm planning on pulling the pork and storing it in a foil catering pan sealed with HD foil and I plan on tightly wrapping the ribs in foil for the trip up.

There will be a dedicated meat cooler (the rest will be for beer, obviously) and I plan on reheating the ribs wrapped in foil and I had the idea of making little foil packets to reheat the PP as needed. I'll also be making a pot of beans which I'll reheat over my friends portable gas burner.

I just wanted some thoughts on all of this and if you can forsee any problems I might encounter. We'll be camping Fri-Sun so as long as we keep the ice fresh I don't forsee any long term problems with storing the meat.

Thanks for any replies.

What are you reheating the food in/on? If I reheat ribs I usually do it on a grill not in the oven. I normally take a grate with me that would sit on the grate of the fire pit, if the camp provides one, and grill on that since the camp grate is usually rusty.The grates from an old gasser are great for this. Get a nice bed of coals and throw a few foil wrapped spuds in for 45min to an hour. Pulled pork can be reheated in foil on the camp grate.

Just make sure your using hardwood for the fire while your cooking.

Both meats will be reheated on the campfire. I'll definitely take a spare grate with me just in case they don't provide one in the fire pit.

The beans will be reheated on the gas bruner.

Do you have a vacuum packer? If so the pulled pork could be reheated in simmering water. Ribs would probably do better over the fire just be careful, it will be cooking hotter than your grill over open flame.

As far as the ice chest with food goes, Duct tape around the lid seam keeps the gators away down here.

yea, just make sure to keep the aromas as contained and the meat as cool as possible for as long as possible until you're gonna eat. there is such a slim chance of any dangerous encounter that there isn't much to worry about, but there's no need to take any chances. and make sure you dispose of the waste fairly far from your actual campsite or in sealed containers.

Back