Take a peek at my rain resistant box.

D Estropelic

My overnight/rainy day outdoor HeaterMeter setup is complete. I can finally sleep with my HM running overnight and not worry about the elements.

Attachments

• 634AF628-BF8E-4FBE-B91F-A9525D07C9EB.jpeg
    634AF628-BF8E-4FBE-B91F-A9525D07C9EB.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 118
There’s a guy, that has posted here, that makes up a kit using a plastic ammo box. He even has a battery pack version too.
I like the weather resistant ideas that seem to come to light just when I think I have everything I need!

Nice work. Does the blower working through the resistance of the tube change anything?
I was also wondering if there's an air inlet in the box somewhere because if it is sealed... where does the air it is blowing come from? Looks great as a self-contained unit though.

I too wondered about the air intake for the box? I used to have a rig kinda like that for my HM alone, I found myself leaving the cover off so I could see and adjust the HM easier... Murphy's law eventually kicked in and the box filled with rain! LOL
I have left my RD3 out on my grill 24/7 literally for years now completely unprotected with no issues, you just need to orient it so the rain runs off rather than running into the probes and cat5 jack. From there, thanks to the handy RDTC board the CAT5 cable allows the HM to sit safely in my kitchen, or somewhere else that is safe from the rain. Added benefit, I don't have to break down the rig after a cook, just set the HM to OFF and get right to the important work of enjoying some BBQ!

I was also wondering if there's an air inlet in the box somewhere because if it is sealed... where does the air it is blowing come from? Looks great as a self-contained unit though.
I used two 1 1/2 street threaded 90s and have them pointed down for probes and air intake. I'm planning on sealing any possible air gaps with clear silicone. I was a little worried the hose would cause issues with the fan but it seems 2-3 feet of hose isn't a problem.

Edit: Im going to give it a test run and sprinkle it with some water to test "without the hm inside."

I used two 1 1/2 street threaded 90s and have them pointed down for probes and air intake. I'm planning on sealing any possible air gaps with clear silicone. I was a little worried the hose would cause issues with the fan but it seems 2-3 feet of hose isn't a problem.
Oh haha I completely forgot that the probes have to get out as well. I didn't notice the PVC elbows. Yeah that should work, and keep everything dry!

Mine is similar to this.....
And it's a sunproof box too

The controller just sits on wheeled table.....if it's splashing I turn a plastic container upside down and put over....even the metal water bowl works

The blower isn't an issue really...some people leave theirs mounted outside year around.

Classic_10x10_Navy_blue.jpg

I made a rain hood very similar to the above photo but mini to fit my all in one unit.
Very ugly but very effective

Attachments

• IMG_20210227_165030.jpg
    IMG_20210227_165030.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 19
The blowers really are not effected by the rain / weather. Just try to keep the fan input pointed down so you don’t blow rain onto your fire. I also rotate mine so the network jack is mostly pointed down as well. The controller is in a box pretty similar to yours. Bonus is the weather box is also the storage box

Back