T&A tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art B

TVWBB Super Fan
Turkey breast and pork butt, that is
icon_wink.gif

Ordered a 10# butt and a 7# kosher turkey breast from FreshDirect, which got delivered last night. Using a modified BRITU rub on both -- for the butt, I'm using Kosher salt and turbinado sugar instead of the regular/brown sugar mix (because I ran out of brown sugar), and for the breast, the same thing minus the salt. While I probably should have known before buying it, the Kosher breast was brined (or at least salted), so I didn't want to add any more salt. I figure if it's light on the salt at the end, I can add then.

Breast on the bottom, of course, although it will finish much sooner than the butt, and I'll have an awkward moment getting it out when it does. Haven't decided on wood yet, although I'm leaning towards alder and maybe something stronger (hickory or pecan) once I take off the breast.

My first time with the turkey, so I'm glad the butt is a decent size. Anyway, wish me luck, as this is all going towards feeding a small family reunion tomorrow.

Technically, that should be "T&S", cuz the pork butt comes from the "shoulder", not the "***".
icon_smile.gif

Good luck,
Chris

Art, you'll love the turkey. I've done like 12 or so at about 10-12lbs a piece. Every one has been great!

Looking for a strong smoke wood...hows about mesquite(Bryan faints)??? Really is good although not a lot of fans here for mesquite except on meat or steak!!

$0.02

Art, Don't listen to the crazed mesquite man.
icon_razz.gif
. Art, let this be a lesson to you about the dangers of mesquite smoke inhalation.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Use apple or cherry on the Tom.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Chris, of course you are right, but what would be the fun in that?

Greg, you must be stopped!
icon_wink.gif
While I do like stronger woods, including mesquite, they're not going anywhere near that turkey. But as I said, once the turkey comes off (somewhere around 11 or 12 tonight) I'll drop something stronger on. Right now, I'm leaning towards the pecan, mainly because I've got a lot of it, and the folks I'm serving have liked it in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back