Switching to Lump...

Fritz

For smoking I've always used KBB with perfectly acceptable results. I've been thinking more about switching to Lump but am hesitant as it burns fast and concerned about having to reload mid session. I 'm liking more and more the idea of having a clean burn with no chemical additives. I have a 18.5 WSM. My ribs only are on for about 3-4 hrs max as I finish them the oven (i hang them so its hard to rehang them after wrapping) so i figured a full ring of lump in my 18.5 shouldn't be a problem. My briskets on the other hand are usually on for 8-10 hours then get finished in the oven. I typically smoke on the higher side at 275 for everything and use a PartyQ stoker. Based on this information any thoughts and direction would be appreciated. Specifically what's your favorite lump? Ive been poking around http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm and want to hear other thoughts.

Last edited:
I bought some Jealous Devil lump but the pieces were so large I gave it to my son in law. He has a large Kamodo Joe and loves the JD. I bought some FOGO Premium for when I take the 19 pound brisket out of the freezer.

I love Humphrey's. It does have some huge pieces and to which I take a chisel. It has very little ash, and I use it primarily when I grill. Weber briquettes
are my go to for smoking.

Les

I've been using Royal Oak lump since 06.
Yes there are better brands, but for me it's relatively cheap and easy to find.
And yea you will find some rocks, or other debris in a bag, but it's a natural product, laid out in a yard and the front end loader will pick up some.

Tim

Royal Oak here in a WSM 18 with an ATC. I’ll put a couple of butts on with a full ring at 5pm at 225, and top off coal thru the door before I turn in for the night. In the morning I might see the fan speed starting to increase to maintain temp. I usually end up adding some coal thru the door to get the meat temp where I want it by 10-11 AM. I always end up with half a ring of unburned coal for the next cook.

I'll use just about anything, but look for higher quality lumps to try. Royal Oak is my default brand. As was said, not the greatest, but reasonable cost and usually available.

The main thing about using lump is that you have to pack the ring. You don't need to go crazy, but get your hand in there (with a glove on) and make sure there are no major air gaps. Shake the ring, rustle it around, whatever you want to call it, but get it in there snug. In my experience, once I do that, it doesn't act much different than briquettes. Also, I like the fact that lump creates a lot less ash. On a good weather day (not windy), you should have no problem getting 8-10 hours out of a full, packed, ring of lump. I've got over 12 hours consistently with Royal Oak when I had my 18.5 WSM.

I'll use just about anything, but look for higher quality lumps to try. Royal Oak is my default brand. As was said, not the greatest, but reasonable cost and usually available.

The main thing about using lump is that you have to pack the ring. You don't need to go crazy, but get your hand in there (with a glove on) and make sure there are no major air gaps. Shake the ring, rustle it around, whatever you want to call it, but get it in there snug. In my experience, once I do that, it doesn't act much different than briquettes. Also, I like the fact that lump creates a lot less ash. On a good weather day (not windy), you should have no problem getting 8-10 hours out of a full, packed, ring of lump. I've got over 12 hours consistently with Royal Oak when I had my 18.5 WSM.

I just got over 13 hours on Fogo Super Premium. I actually packed large chunks into the basket by hand, took out enough in the middle to make a slight indentation, and dumped 1/3 of a chimney of lit coals on top.

20200612_124227.jpg
My starting coals, hand-packed.

20200613_101514.jpg
Coals right before I closed all vents, 13 hours after they were started.

FB_IMG_1592193913423.jpg
Leftover charcoal, almost an entire starter full, after completely extinguished.

I prefer briquettes for the WSM and minion method. I did use some lump doing a high heat chicken cook a while back. I dunno if it made a difference. You'll also have unburnt reusable briquettes after a cook. I saw that Jealous Devil has come out with a line of briquettes. A lot of these premium brands are proud of their larger pieces of lump. I want nice medium sized lump pieces, preferably. I need to be able to light some in a chimney. My lump go to lately is B&B if I use it.

That makes perfect sense and exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.

Hi Fritz - I recommend giving this a read thru if you have not already. Lot's of good info https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/all-about-charcoal/

I've been trying lots of different charcoals for the past year and need to settle in on one. Charcoal is fun to experiment with for sure. Lots of guys mix lump and briquettes. I did that on my last cook and ran some very stable temperatures.

I have used Humphrey's Lump and Wicked Good Lump after cooking with Kingsford. On the first cook, chicken, I noticed a considerable taste difference the first time I used it. I have used Lump ever since in my WSM 18" and now my 14" for many, many years. I would have no problem with Royal Oak, tho. Many street vendors in NYC used Royal Oak and, at least judging from the aroma, is would also hit the spot. But I don't use lump on my Kettle--it does burn hot and Kingsford keeps things happy. The best thing about the premium lumps is the that they produce much less ash.

Back