switching from K to lump

Chris Smith

TVWBB Fan
Once all my Kingsford is used up I'm thinking about giving lump a shot. Since it typically burns hotter and shorter than briquettes, do you guys have any trouble keeping temps down? What about burn time? I've had no problems going 12-14 hours on a ring of K with fuel to spare. How long will an 18" WSM go on a full ring of lump?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Smith:
Once all my Kingsford is used up I'm thinking about giving lump a shot. Since it typically burns hotter and shorter than briquettes, do you guys have any trouble keeping temps down? What about burn time? I've had no problems going 12-14 hours on a ring of K with fuel to spare. How long will an 18" WSM go on a full ring of lump? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why are you wanting to switch from K to lump?

Since I switched to Stubbs briquettes, I don't think my Maverick has woke me up but one time, and it was time to get out of bed anyway, and the water pan had gotten low.
icon_redface.gif

I've used the K two or three times overnight, but had trouble with the ash. I hear that if you tap the legs good before going to bed you're ok, though.

As to lump, that's what I started off with in my wsm for overnights. I just had problems with temp spikes and it was a lot of trouble packing, not to mention more expensive, but get a good dense brand like B&B, don't be too thrifty with the little pieces, and pack it in tight.....but IMHO, the flavor is in the wood, not the charcoal or lump.

I only use lump for my smokes (RO and Cowboy). I have had full rings go 12hrs with plenty left. No problems with ash or anything. I had one temp spike but I live right on the water and it can suddenly get windy so it had nothing to do with the lump.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:

Why are you wanting to switch from K to lump?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a few reasons I guess, not the least of which is curiosity. I've never used it before and I'd like to give it a try and see if I like it better. I'm also a little agitated with the acrid smoke clouds I get when firing up Kingsford, and I'd like to reduce ash in the fuel ring as well. I do tap the legs of mine to knock some of the ash down, but sometimes it seems only some careful stirring will do and no matter how careful I am it sends up more ash than I'd like.

Back