Surf and turf

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
This was originally going to be a steak dinner but after I salted the ribeye it wound up sitting in the fridge for 3 days due to some things that came up, and by the time I got around to grilling it I'd also picked up some shrimp.

RibeyeShrimp20201107_1.jpg

I marinated the shrimp in olive oil, lime juice, white wine, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and a couple of jalapeno slices.

RibeyeShrimp20201107_2.jpg

When I don't feel like skewering the shrimp I use the Weber grill basket and it works just fine, and I prefer to cook them with the shell on as much as possible.

RibeyeShrimp20201107_3.jpg

During its long stay in the fridge it developed a nice pellicle, which helped with the crust and grill marks.

RibeyeShrimp20201107_4.jpg

It was a pretty good dinner! The shrimp weren't too spicy for my wife and the long advance salting helped the steak develop a nice beefy flavor.

RibeyeShrimp20201107_5.jpg

I have a T bone in the freezer that I want to try something new on, I was thinking about trying Preston's hot tub steak, but this three day salt sound great.

Looks great, Brad! I like those ribeyes from the short end......more of the beefy outside muscle! :)

R

Thanks, all! If I had to choose between beef or shrimp as the only protein I could eat, I'd probably starve because I couldn't make up my mind.

Nice work! So next time you'll add a few additional jalapeno slices?
If the shrimp is just for me I could do that or make Green Lightning Shrimp like I've done in the past, but otherwise it would have to be 2 separate batches. Because I doubt I could get away with saying, "I'm having shrimp. You can microwave a Hot Pocket or something."

Back