Sunday Tri Tip

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
Went shopping at Vons and saw they had tri tip on sale at 6.99/lb, not bad, but not the lowest price I've gotten it in the past.

But, what caught my eye was the butcher counter placard that said it was "imported". Curious to know where, when I asked the butcher he said Canada.

It looked really good - nice and marbled, so what the heck - I bought it.

Trimmed and prepped - just under 2lbs
tritip-prepped-12-5-21.jpg

Just a straight KBB cook, no wood/smoke, on the WSM fully assembled to an internal temp of 110F. Then WSM broken down to be a grill to put a sear on and get to a final temp of 130F. Rested to 135F before slicing.
triptip-done-12-5-21.jpg

Plated with homemade chimichurri, pan roasted baby potatoes, fresh salad, ciabatta roll, and a nice cab
tritip-plated-12-5-21.jpg

Delicious!

Went shopping at Vons and saw they had tri tip on sale at 6.99/lb, not bad, but not the lowest price I've gotten it in the past.

But, what caught my eye was the butcher counter placard that said it was "imported". Curious to know where, when I asked the butcher he said Canada.

It looked really good - nice and marbled, so what the heck - I bought it.

Trimmed and prepped - just under 2lbs
View attachment 41607

Just a straight KBB cook, no wood/smoke, on the WSM fully assembled to an internal temp of 110F. Then WSM broken down to be a grill to put a sear on and get to a final temp of 130F. Rested to 135F before slicing.
View attachment 41608

Plated with homemade chimichurri, pan roasted baby potatoes, fresh salad, ciabatta roll, and a nice cab
View attachment 41609

Delicious!
If it was quality Alberta beef, you got a good deal. Excellent meat, but not easy to find in most parts of the US.

If it was quality Alberta beef, you got a good deal. Excellent meat, but not easy to find in most parts of the US.
Not sure. Just "Canada".

The butcher also said that a month ago they had Canadian ribeyes on sale, and he thought they looked a lot better than their usual domestic sourced ribeyes.

But, I've never knowingly had Canadian beef before. I'd buy it again. (y)

Back