Sunday "Pot" Roast

D Livingston

TVWBB Fan
My wife had been asking me to make some pot roast, but the weather was nice and I wanted to cook outside, so I made her a roast, just without the crock pot.

Got the Master Touch ready while the coals were getting going in the Smokey Joe.
y4msEyqH48wr2SUB2BQNMyzOfW5fGfy2gM252V1cAT9BxF4ea7NlYW_xb0JcEGTpVRrlDGBnaCz22o5nSphVLEKuGmujUaqSJ-ZN5xrXfvryYGqZ5M3Lk-9IqcmX8MxtQkXVteEJNGLwj1XAqmOcv5U6trIM0e525VTo2IzteV2j0DQI73gYh-FIaFPQ2o955kjv9gOm2E3mWy0W2qT0JJolA

A generous coating of coarse salt, pepper, and garlic on the chuck roast.
y4mtAtTsXfOsKSd9sZbgT4Vc-UVCP0BBlhboyTgFAOgIeit5Abk1xgSuUeNN796U95lTRHg7ACjQiQFyamvcwDxp_8eNhEaNnB-t7n6ZfKxyO3BZuhMcTTasDrGmHfYPwUP8pHuefyDMApOjtTjOxQNUPIsLQ16uzq25jcHbtx5Lhn7gszFhbsSQBcXpy0aCuJLMTnC0E6jEoLKhfSwqWx0MQ

Red potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, and some Italian seasoning ready to go on.
y4m0WqygYgpDKj6QskmCqIsgNHYSzh8a5Hm83RS-LlYEjTOIIK367DU7r5iyCC8Gfo3SXt8Si7mdb6URnazs8EeC-RI3om-rsDDrrpCGPAfcZQy39Ohol67zlt6golE_D0yQ18VL6nkw4EebzP0AN4LUmUwyjtua3HFoa3iIg-gbqJ5s5vxX1wO7hS4jFdQb5LSTU05WCuiQ1dvSYui7uojjA

A couple hours into the cook. Had some apple wood in with the coals. Average temp was 240.
y4mgLN9p7-KgA-oVksZc-hjphLTSCbelDCipjMHp1CssTVDO4ilRbq-0YgOBi7ijLCHoBmVLC7X6yFRzAAD4_WtAbTdh6wv8GkskI3OBPLUHhG5TEMXqCSDE60IT5WxIGb4DBZCkC1Qu0QxDE1cbNd0qY93stKGJBG0OMfHIQCd-LGxG_KGQFLCjtYRzJW-3SaRMxt0YzPhViAE0XrQk9PF_Q

After the roast hit 160, I wrapped it in foil and put it and the potatoes in the oven at 225 to finish up (wind was picking up and I was having a hard time keeping the temp steady in the grill). Served with some steamed broccoli.
y4mM3i_IH40i5dnIiuVHBPJuTuOFvu3TZJkXQ6HZ50vS8G0IFBeji2jkr02EEznHicz6kfNO4vrBmEZsXDxvnk_ccBcU8SvWxwRTUtHuROGIzQg3rEToOq5MSe835Kp4MyHLeX4dw7nU__S-6GV418K4-DkUuPSbBmCv_kG1c1QaL6v_N1CL_qblJpu9AUtCWl9p5uuWYwHNin1rqqluPCpcg

I might make "pot" roast this way more often. Whenever I make it in the crock pot, I have to put a LOT of seasoning in to keep it from being bland, and I still end up adding more Worcestershire sauce on the plate. This did not have that problem, at all.

On any given Sunday in the Midwest, thousands of plates of meat 'n' potatoes hit thousands of tables. I think you beat out most of 'em.;)

We love pot roast and make it quite often. Yours looks outstanding nice cook. I guess I'm not the only one who has to fight the wind.

That chuck roast looks awesome. I've never tried cooking any type of beef roast on the kettle or WSM before. I know a lot of people refer to it as a cheaper option than brisket. What temp did you take it to?

That chuck roast looks awesome. I've never tried cooking any type of beef roast on the kettle or WSM before. I know a lot of people refer to it as a cheaper option than brisket. What temp did you take it to?

If I'm going to be honest, I bought the Chuck Roast to make faux burnt ends, but had to listen to the requests. So this was a bit of a compromise. I took it to 160 on the kettle at 240 degree average. Then wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven at 225 until everyone was hungry. I didn't actually check the final temp, but it was at ~185 45 minutes or so before I pulled it out of the oven to rest. I'd guess between 190 and 200 final temp. I was worried about it drying out too much but it didn't. It was nice and tender, but held together (not as tender as it normally is sitting in the crock pot all day where it just falls apart). I think for lunch today I'm going to find out how well it re-heats.

That's about what I'd expect for a good chuck roast to finish at. I should take the internal temp the next time I make pressure cooker pot roast, it's under 15psi, bringing the chamber temp up to about 250 F for an hour (well browned all the way through.)

Back