Sunday pork steaks

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
started with a Sconnie Brewski
yeah, they have great tees for sale on their website ;)

DSCN2205.JPG

soaked these pork steaks in Guy Fieri's marinade for about 6 hours.
then seasoned them with Penzey's Galena Street.

DSCN2208.JPG

cookin'um indirect at 300ºF on the 26" OTG for about 90 minutes total
apple and hickory wood for smoke

DSCN2209.JPG

these steaks were over an inch thick, like 1¼" thick... I found some Delicata squash at the grocer so....
that's it under the foil.

DSCN2210.JPG

I sauced one PS with Weber's Original Real Molasses BBQ Sauce, the other, not.

DSCN2211.JPG

Nice colour on the squash... i could eet this stuff EveryDay!

DSCN2212.JPG

ok, let's EET!
cauliflower was steamed also and seasoned with some Tuscan Sunset

DSCN2217.JPG

DSCN2220.JPG

everything was quite tasty, wish i had leftovers for tonight...
Thanks for visiting
smiley-happy020.gif

Jim, you could post pork steak cooks every day for a year, and my mouth would still water while reading about them.

Great job on the pork steaks, squash and cauliflower, Jim!

Diggin' the Sconnie beer too.:cool:

I don't think those pork steaks came out as well as they usually do Jim!! I think you should let me have them and dispose of them for you in the most efficient and timely manner I know how:
eat.gif

thank you guys :)
scott, you're invited over anytime for pork steaks...
Ed, Sean, Mike... you too!

I don't know Jim, it looked pretty cold the other night when the Pack was spanking da Bears!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

scottiE we wear winter coats when the temps dip below 0
other than that, it's pretty daggum balmy in these parts...

I watched an episode of America's Test Kitchen last week where they cooked some pork steaks St. Louis style. I gotta get some of those.
And Jim,those look awesome as usual!

Just a simple question, Jim. Icook my chops for 15-20 minutes, no more.
When you leave your chops on the grill for over an hour, I would think they dry out. I have a feeling that your chops are superjuicy.

Any comment? The core temperature must be much higher than 171f?

One request Jim, please stop calling me the king of these things.:)
Nobody makes pork steaks better than you do, not here in the StL area, not anywhere!

And your Sunday pork steaks were no exception, simply beautiful eets all the way around!!

thank you all for your nice comments :) i appreciate them all!

Originally Posted by Phil Perrin
I watched an episode of America's Test Kitchen last week where they cooked some pork steaks St. Louis style. I gotta get some of those.
I missed the airing of that show Phil, I hope they show it again, I'd love to see it:)

Originally Posted by Kim Drana
Looks like you got that cook in before the rain.
Kim, this cook was done early evening Sunday;)

Originally Posted by Bob Correll
One request Jim, please stop calling me the king of these things.:)
butt Bob, you ARE the KING of PORK STEAKS!!
You teach/taught everyone here how to make them ooooooooohsoooooooooooo gooooood! :D

Just a simple question, Jim. Icook my chops for 15-20 minutes, no more.
When you leave your chops on the grill for over an hour, I would think they dry out. I have a feeling that your chops are superjuicy.

Any comment? The core temperature must be much higher than 171f?
Geir, the marinade helps, i'm sure, butt these are not skimpy pork steaks, and grilling them INDIRECT for 15 to 20 minutes I think they would come out still raw...
low and slow is what i was taught and i try to get the kettle as low as i possibly can. Of course, I tend to use too much charcoal... but my aim is about 275ºF tops. These were settling in at about 300 degrees , if i remember correctly.
These steaks were not fork tender, the ultimate goal, butt by no stretch of the imagination were they dry.
I alway say after devouring one of these pork steaks, "Man, I could eet another one!"
They are that good! :)

Jim,
Geir is talking about pork chops, not pork steaks.

Geir,
Pork steaks are sliced pork butt.
And they can take a long slow and low cook.
IMO they are best when made this way.

Pork chops are a whole different matter.

Didn't mean to interject, but wanted to clarify:)

Thanks alot for the tip, I've just got to give it a try with the meat I can get.

I've just got hold of some pork chops, "Arctic mountain pig", which looks promesing.
The pigs, two months old, are transported up into the Norwegian mountains, 3000 feet above sea level in the spring, where they live outdoors for the whole summer, living mainly in daylight, the night in Norway is only a few hours long. They live on a diet of fresh juniper twigs, roots and some wheat. Then it's harvesting time in late september.

It might be just a hoax that the altitude, sun, diet and living in the wilderness does much to the taste, but the thought is appealing, I must say.

I have grilled two chops "geirwidarstyle", and the result is very tasty so far. But then, I'm always looking for a way to improve my cooking.. :)

Back