Sunday night Labor Day weekend St Louis Ribs

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
3 slabs of St Louis ribs. Rub is Bobby Flays with less brown sugar. half were un-glazed., half glazed with apricot preserves, garlic, lemon juice, cayenne pepper ,hot Hungarian paprika and smoked paprika.

Mac n cheese is home made, finished in the oven.

This was my first rib cook on the BGE in a few years. I've been using the PB 820 for ribs, but I wanted to try the billows on a lower temp cook..

Smoked with Cowboy hardwood lump, Oak and Hickory mix with three good sized chunks of Weber apple chunks soaked in water.

I do a modified 3,2,1 on the egg which is more like a 4, 1, 45 min.
the Plan was to cook indirect at 200 to 210F for 2 hours, then bring it up to 240 for an hour or two until the racks felt done.

Complications arose, ensued, were overcome.

About an hour in the smoke phase the alarm went off. grate temp was showing 180F. I walked out back and the grill was still smoking nicely, and grate temp was back up to about 210. I watched it for a minute then went back inside. A minute or two later, the alarm went off again. Temp down to about 185 or 190. I pulled out my backup temp probe thinking it had gone haywire and went back to see what was going on.

Just before opening the lid I noticed dome temp was about 300. My thoughts were the temp probe was bad causing the billows to run harder than needed, but that was not the cause.

One of the slabs slumped over in the rack and was dripping on the grate probe. Oops, bad placement on my part.

Temps were hotter than planned and a couple of the racks were farther along than I expected, so I cut the racks in half and moved them around a bit, relocated the grate probe to a better spot, cooled things down to 220 and finished the 3 hour smoke phase.

Ribs were foiled, and cooked for about an hour, maybe hour an hour and 15 mins. Half were pulled off and the other half glazed. My kids don't like glaze or BBQ sauce on their ribs. Their loss.

Dinner was tasty, and I know what I'll be eating for lunch tomorrow.

I'll add pics in a moment.

Love home made M&C, that looks awesome!
Cook looks great!! The Mac N Cheese made me drool :p.

Thanks I added the recipe. It is pretty easy.

Back