Sunday Funday: Sun, Smoke and first time Ribs

Dom

So I finally got my WSM up and running after having to send back the original one I got from amazon since it didn't have a heat shield included :( I seasoned it last week-end with bacon and wings so today was my first real go at smoking food. My girlfriend (who is 9 months pregnant with our second baby) wanted ribs, so ribs it is. What baby wants, baby gets!

IMG_1095_zpsikitjwd4.jpg

I rubbed (Salt, pepper, mustard powder, brown sugar, sweet paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne) 2 racks of pork ribs and wrapped them in plastic wrap and sent them back to the fridge for 24 hours to marinate.

IMG_1090_zpscy4guyyo.jpg

Since I was firing the WSM for a long-ish cook, I wanted another piece I could put on the bottom rack. After a quick trip to the grocery store, I found super cheap beefribs so why not. Just S&P and onto the smoker.

IMG_1092_zps6dfnkudp.jpg

Layer 1:

IMG_1093_zpsmtok8ko1.jpg

Layer 2:

IMG_1094_zpsxga5cyax.jpg

I used a full unlit chimney in the bottom of the wsm with 3-4 small pieces of oak rum barrels to add the smoke. I then added 1/2 fully lit chimney to the grill. It went between 225 and 245 for 6ish hours. (With water pan 3/4 full) I also put some tequila habanero BBQ sauce about 30 minutes before removing them from the grill.

Beef:

IMG_1097_zpsvu9m1h5o.jpg

Pork:

IMG_1098_zpshdsninbl.jpg

Served with a Tomato, Basil and fresh mozzarella salad.

IMG_1100_zpsthkusw6h.jpg

Time to eat, caveman style!

IMG_1099_zps05qgrjuq.jpg

Pretty damn good for a first try! Will make again for sure.

Last edited:
Everything looks awesome. If you don't mind me asking, what size is your WSM as I like the way you did the charcoal for the 6 hour mark.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I have to say this went a lot smoother than the seasoning run i did last weak with wings and bacon. Last week I had to keep playing with the vents as my temps would be anywhere between 250 and 350. I think the water pan really helped me keep the temps low this time and I think I'll keep using water till I really get to know my wsm.

@Craig, my WSM is the 18.5 model.

Now the real question is, what to do with the leftovers? Any suggestions besides heating them up and eating them regularly?

Last edited:
Now the real question is, what to do with the leftovers? Any suggestions besides heating them up and eating them regularly?

Hello, Freeze them in a good freezer bag and try to use them for up to 6 months.
If the ribs are sauced, You can throw a couple of the ribs inside a doctored up baked bean recipe. Or even chili.

If the beef ribs are not sauced you can put a couple (no more than 2, just for flavor) in tomato pasta sauce when you make spaghetti and meatballs.

Hope this helps.

What a mess....a mess of goodness. Dang, pass the roll of paper towels my way with a plate of those ribs.

Back