Sunday Dino Ribs

John Sully

TVWBB Fan
I finally found some time to use my Smokefire this weekend. After work on Saturday, I cleaned it up and ran it for a few minutes but when it was shutting down, the probe numer lights started blinking left to right like it was trying to update but couldn't. I finally did a reset, it updated and we were ready for Sunday. I had an 8 lb. rack of beef plate ribs from Restaurant Depot, used Bearded Butchers' Butter Blend rub, 265 degrees and 9 hours (201 degrees) later were done !!
My wife and son said they were the best yet but to be honest I was a little disappointed, I did not care for the texture.

20231015_065612.jpg20231015_080220.jpg20231015_160442.jpg20231015_180744.jpg20231015_180904.jpg

What was the texture like? How was the smoke flavor? I ask because I recently got a SmokeFire and have been doing some comparison cooks to see how it does compared to my Summit Kamado. So far I’m not impressed with the smoke profile, and meat texture seems to be drier and tougher.

This is 4th time I have done beef ribs on the SF. I love the smoke flavor that I get on this and other other cooks. I felt the texture was too mushy compared to my other beef ribs. The other racks came from Wildfork, these were from Restaurant Depot so could be the quality of the ribs.

They certainly look good! I’ve only ever done ones from WFF, they’re always amazing. Done on WSM.

John, those ribs look terrific, the bark must have been good?
The bark was awesome !!
Update to this .... I started a new medication about a week before this cook and everything I ate did not taste right. I stopped taking it and things are back to normal (whatever that is)

Sorry that felt they were a little mushy, but they sure looked good ! ! !

I've cooked ribs from Rest Depot several times to the cheers of my family.

BD

Back