Sunday Beef Back Ribs

Heavy in what way?

They look awesome.
We’ve reduced beef to around 1-2x a month now. So it feels greasy, heavy and makes us feel very full (fat). Yea I know we had mashed pots and creamed spinach neither of which are light foods.

The beef flavor was excellent. I just feel like I weigh 300#. I did enjoy cooking on the WSK tho. It’s really like therapy for me. Very calming.

Last edited:
looking good! The spinach looks amazing!
Very easy to make. Here’s the main recipe which I modded.

Mods were: 5 garlic cloves chopped, no onion, two shallot bulb halves minced instead.

Add butter, garlic and shallots to pan. Sauté till fragrant.

Add 1# fresh baby spinach to sauté pan and wilt.

Add the flour. Blend in till fully incorporated.

Add the cream and then mix. I had to add an additional 1 cup of milk as I used heavy cream and I wanted a more viscous sauce.

Once fluidity level is to your liking, then season. I added SP, cayenne and nutmeg.

Then add in Parmesan or pecorino. I prefer and have pecorino (it’s cheaper and has loads of flavor).

Final taste and adjust spices and serve. Around 20 mins total cook time is accurate.

It was a huge hit. Like almost gone!

Last edited:
Man, same thing.

Great cook, Brett!
the older we get, the less food we need. so i'm back at the gym to fix that. strength training to gain that protein appetite back.

thank you. the cook was fun. i'll do it again for a summer bbq with more people. i'll budget 1.5 ribs per person as that was the take rate last night. gave a rack to my son and his GF for the week. kept a few ribs for us for this week to ease the cooking burden as we're bogged down in storms all week, again.

Is there any use for the bones after they were gnawed on?

Stock?
Great question. Chud from Chud’s BBQ YT channel makes a double rib. He uses the center bones he pulls out for stocks. I can get you the video if you’d like.

Ribs look amazing Brett! How did you go about choosing the right ones at costco?
The Costco selection was all Choice grade. I was looking for most even length of bones with the least amount of taper from end to end. Then a consistent and even cut of the meat off the bone where the ribeye was removed. And the racks that had more meat than fat knowing that these need to go to 195°+ to get to full tender and that the slow render cook will release the beef collagen.

I hash cut the backs (the membrane side) so the ribs stay together during the cook, which is contrary to pork rib prep where you’d remove the membrane. This makes for easy management of the racks while cooking and moving them.

I barely had to trim the racks as they were very meaty. My binder was neutral vegetable oil.

Budget 1.5 to 2 ribs per person. Hearty eaters might be able to consume 3 ribs at a meal. These were ridiculously filling, along with mashed pots and the creamed spinach.

Back