Summit S-650 Thoughts

Well, I finished cleaning all the valves. What a difference.

Unfortunately I discovered two burnt wires, so I need to find where to get replacements for those for two burners.
Also the rotisserie will light manually, and I do see a spark from the starter, so I’m not sure why it won’t ignite from the spark.

But either way, she’s burning.

View attachment 62623
Those are some nice blue flames. All I remember about the roti igniter was that the wires go under the left shelf and up the back.

Those are some nice blue flames. All I remember about the roti igniter was that the wires go under the left shelf and up the back.
I know there is at least one video on YouTube showing how to put one of these back together after someone got a new cookbox. Joe, you may have been the one that posted it. Do you think the thermocouple could be bad on the roti burner if John can light it manually, but not with the igniter even though it has spark?

I know there is at least one video on YouTube showing how to put one of these back together after someone got a new cookbox. Joe, you may have been the one that posted it. Do you think the thermocouple could be bad on the roti burner if John can light it manually, but not with the igniter even though it has spark?
No - When the thermo is bad the pilot will not stay lit and the burner will not ignite.

This is the Orange Wire I need to replace for 2 (maybe 3) of the burners.

All I can find is it included as part of these entire assemblies ($35), but anyone have a clue as to if I can find them somewhere on their own?

1668384608846.png

This is the Orange Wire I need to replace for 2 (maybe 3) of the burners.

All I can find is it included as part of these entire assemblies ($35), but anyone have a clue as to if I can find them somewhere on their own?

View attachment 62632

I don’t think the wire has connectors

You can splice in a wire and use heat shrinks to cover the splice and provide insulation

I don’t think the wire has connectors

You can splice in a wire and use heat shrinks to cover the splice and provide insulation
I was thinking about if it would be possible to make my own. I actually do have other wires from the spark wires from some other sourced grills laying around that I bet I could splice in.

The only piece that's totally burned/broken is the little metal crimp connector that hooks into the Valve Housing onto the little metal tab. Any idea what those are called? I'll have to find some teeny-tiny ones.

I was thinking about if it would be possible to make my own.

The only piece that's totally burned/broken is the little metal crimp connector that hooks into the Valve Housing onto the little metal tab. Any idea what those are called?

Little crimp connectors. You can get them at the hardware store with a shrink sleeve or high temp electrical tape

Little crimp connectors. You can get them at the hardware store with a shrink sleeve or high temp electrical tape
Wow, worked like a charm
I also used a spare wire I had from another grill which has the little female circle end connections. I just squashed it to fit the vertical post of the Summit’s male connection.

5A13DDD6-2B30-4649-BC50-7FB8ABBCA809.jpeg

A8037B86-FBC4-462B-8F81-3056F9085C62.jpeg

for your future reference, the lower cookbox where you took that pic of your spliced wires is the extct spot that cookbox experiences burnthrough. watch that area over time. you'll also be able to visually inspect it by lifitng the grates and viewing that cookbox wall. that is THE area where they fail over time and become dangerous.

I would wrap or shrink tube those bare wires as they could arc / short with the surrounding metal when using the igniters.

Sounds good, I was planning to head back to the hardware store to pick some up!
Suggest you buy the marine grade heatshrink. It has a layer of hot glue that seals the area from moisture/corrosion.

EDIT: You can also accomplish the same thing with liquid electrical tape prior to using plain heat shrink, although it's messier and the liquid tape dries out in the bottle over time.

Good news, I used the heat shrink wraps and also hand-bent the little spark rod on the rotisserie just a bit closer to the burner and was able to light it using the knob instead of manually!
A3C01497-0FA9-4603-8B3E-53562A6A52E0.jpeg

93449538-EE7F-40F8-A11C-F41368DD0114.jpeg

Back