Summit S-650 Thoughts

Ok, this gets worse.

1) The burners aren't attached to anything. This is what I get for showing up the day after Daylight Savings ends and inspecting the grill in the pitch black of night with a flashlight. Are they supposed to attach to something somehow, somewhere?
Which also leads to, are those front and back rails in the cookbox UPSIDE DOWN?? Are the tabs supposed to hold the Flavorizer Bars into place?

2) The valve stems DO PUSH IN AND OUT, but when I put the plastic Control Knob on a valve stem, it can't "push the stem in".
Is the stem "too flush" with the control panel metal cutout for the cap?
i.e. - Does the Control Knob bottom out against the metal control panel, and therefore can't 'push' on the valve stem? For example, I notice on the Spirit II and Genesis II models, there's like a centimeter gap between the Control Knob and the Control Panel.
What would be causing this?

View attachment 62422View attachment 62423View attachment 62424

View attachment 62426
John- I can’t offer any help with any of this but at least you are in the right place to get it sorted out.

Yes the burners are supposed to be supported in the back. On the original Summit (1st generation), there was a stainless (304 I might add) bracket in the back there. The tabs are supposed to fit into slots on that bracket. IIRC the newer ones are the same

Ok, this gets worse.

1) The burners aren't attached to anything. This is what I get for showing up the day after Daylight Savings ends and inspecting the grill in the pitch black of night with a flashlight. Are they supposed to attach to something somehow, somewhere?
Which also leads to, are those front and back rails in the cookbox UPSIDE DOWN?? Are the tabs supposed to hold the Flavorizer Bars into place?

2) The valve stems DO PUSH IN AND OUT, but when I put the plastic Control Knob on a valve stem, it can't "push the stem in".
Is the stem "too flush" with the control panel metal cutout for the cap?
i.e. - Does the Control Knob bottom out against the metal control panel, and therefore can't 'push' on the valve stem? For example, I notice on the Spirit II and Genesis II models, there's like a centimeter gap between the Control Knob and the Control Panel.
What would be causing this?

View attachment 62422View attachment 62423View attachment 62424

View attachment 62426
Check the plastic knobs for wear. They may have been forced in repeatedly to point where valves stems dig into the knobs too deep.

These bloated beasts are just not for the faint of heart...John, you are already in, so we will all be pulling for you and try to help as best we can.

I suspect you are looking at buying some parts from Weber. Not likely you can source the Summit specific parts elsewhere, other than maybe burners and flavorizer bars.

Well I have some good-ish news.

Upon further inspection I discovered the goofball (holding my tongue here) installed those brackets not only upside down, but also swapped them front and rear.

So I do have the bracket for the burners, just need to switch them around correctly…

F2495E16-26AA-44C5-A7C1-7A3C7178448A.jpeg

How the heck can I get these tiny c clips off to pull out and clean the valve stem?

Only thing that fits in the slot is a razor blade but I know it will snap the blade tip

9CBF0318-3229-4A43-8327-AE6736F0CE7E.jpeg

A set of jeweler's screw drivers and pry from that opening or open a needle nose plyers over the ends and tap with hammer would be my guesses.

A set of jeweler's screw drivers and pry from that opening or open a needle nose plyers over the ends and tap with hammer would be my guesses.
Did you deal with these clips when you did that 470? Or did you leave the valve stems alone?

Everything on this thing seems like it’s way over engineered lol

Those are E-Clips (E-rings) and they are a lot more fun to put on than to take off...usually at least one will go flying across the room, never to be seen again. A small hammer and a flat bladed screwdriver on one of the legs and a judicious amount of careful tapping will give you more room on the backside to wedge a screwdriver in (it helps if you have 3 hands). If you follow Joe's suggestion, that works too, just not much leverage...use a cheap jeweler's screwdriver, not a good Wiha. Have a rag on hand to catch it if it goes flying. Does it really need to come off? Won't the valve spool and top come off as an assembly?

1668362585592.png

Pop it out far enough to get the screwdriver in this area and have a rag handy if you go too far.

Last edited:
The needle nose pliers + hammer and light tapping worked like a charm. *Edit* - Well, it worked on the one valve that I could remove entirely and set on the work bench. The valves that are still attached are proving more difficult because the hammer taps vibrate the whole manifold.
So I removed the wire using needle nose pliers and put the valve housing in a vice and was able to remove the E clip on the larger housings.
This is finally coming along.

Also, the flap disks worked like a charm on the painted Flavorizer Bars

0968FB8D-4CE7-43D6-9402-C3B0E8F8A6DB.jpeg

Last edited:
The flavorizers look great. After a 20 minute burn on high I would think they would be fine. I always suggest that to folks buying one of my flippers anyway as I usually oil a lot of the parts.

Well, I finished cleaning all the valves. What a difference.

Unfortunately I discovered two burnt wires, so I need to find where to get replacements for those for two burners.
Also the rotisserie will light manually, and I do see a spark from the starter, so I’m not sure why it won’t ignite from the spark.

But either way, she’s burning.

94B28FF8-4176-407D-A22E-035E743FB64D.jpeg

Back