Summit S-650 Thoughts

You better not ever pick up one of the older models with the wood to refinish or you can throw your labor price out the window. I did a Genesis 5 and I will hopefully never deal with a grill with wood again as it was very, very time consuming, not to mention the spar urethane.
Did you make new wood, or refinish the old stuff? It probably takes less time to start from scratch, although that is pretty time consuming as well.

Did you make new wood, or refinish the old stuff? It probably takes less time to start from scratch, although that is pretty time consuming as well.
Refinish. It sanded down easily but with 2 stain coats and 3 or 4 poly coats with sanding in between it sure took a long time.

Wow I can't believe someone would do something like that! Very dangerous
Well they were an odd couple. And the wife did tell me after the husband went back inside that he had previously burnt their house down before with a grill.

So...here we are.

Guess I'm gonna put those flap disks on my angle grinder to work.

Well they were an odd couple. And the wife did tell me after the husband went back inside that he had previously burnt their house down before with a grill.

So...here we are.

Guess I'm gonna put those flap disks on my angle grinder to work.
I would not trust that. I would be buying new bars.

You better not ever pick up one of the older models with the wood to refinish or you can throw your labor price out the window. I did a Genesis 5 and I will hopefully never deal with a grill with wood again as it was very, very time consuming, not to mention the spar urethane.
No wood for me.

I do appreciate the beautiful “woody wagons” posted on the site

Well I confronted the lady about them being painted and here's the dialogue for your pleasure:

Me:
Just wanted to give you a heads up, it looks someone painted the Flavorizer Bars to the color Gray, and there's burn marks indicating they were cooked with in that state (painted). You should never cook with paint; it's extremely dangerous. So hopefully you guys aren't painting anything else inside your new grill.

Her:
He said he did paint it but with a high-heat resistant paint made for that application. He researched it carefully

Me:
There is High Heat Paint, but should still never be used inside a grill. Do what you like, but I'm just giving you a heads up.
Toxic Chemicals being the main concern. I just wanted you to be aware, that's all.

Her:
Thank you.
I did not know.

Another question for something I noticed:

The Rotisserie Burner, when lit, is a very distinct BLUE flame/glow.
Every video, etc. I've seen for this burner it's always ORANGE.

Any reason for this?

Thanks again.

Well I confronted the lady about them being painted and here's the dialogue for your pleasure:

Me:
Just wanted to give you a heads up, it looks someone painted the Flavorizer Bars to the color Gray, and there's burn marks indicating they were cooked with in that state (painted). You should never cook with paint; it's extremely dangerous. So hopefully you guys aren't painting anything else inside your new grill.

Her:
He said he did paint it but with a high-heat resistant paint made for that application. He researched it carefully

Me:
There is High Heat Paint, but should still never be used inside a grill. Do what you like, but I'm just giving you a heads up.
Toxic Chemicals being the main concern. I just wanted you to be aware, that's all.

Her:
Thank you.
I did not know.
you should see their toilets. probably something you've never seen before in your life!

humans do some really stooooop id stuff.

Ok, this gets worse.

1) The burners aren't attached to anything. This is what I get for showing up the day after Daylight Savings ends and inspecting the grill in the pitch black of night with a flashlight. Are they supposed to attach to something somehow, somewhere?
Which also leads to, are those front and back rails in the cookbox UPSIDE DOWN?? Are the tabs supposed to hold the Flavorizer Bars into place?

2) The valve stems DO PUSH IN AND OUT, but when I put the plastic Control Knob on a valve stem, it can't "push the stem in".
Is the stem "too flush" with the control panel metal cutout for the cap?
i.e. - Does the Control Knob bottom out against the metal control panel, and therefore can't 'push' on the valve stem? For example, I notice on the Spirit II and Genesis II models, there's like a centimeter gap between the Control Knob and the Control Panel.
What would be causing this?

IMG_1766.jpgIMG_1767.jpgIMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4

Back