Summit Platinum Rotisserie Burner help.

Bill Pudim

TVWBB Super Fan
Finishing up the restoration of a 2005 Summit Platinum D6,the rotisserie burner is not getting gas. If I disconnect the gas line at the burner and turn on the gas I get about 2 seconds of flow, and then nothing. Any ideas? TIA.

Attachments

• 2205758B-EE3A-40F2-907B-CEAFC40D7400.jpeg
    2205758B-EE3A-40F2-907B-CEAFC40D7400.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 12
Sounds like the safety device is tripping. It is designed to detect an unregulated flow of gas and shut down the flow. Having the roto burner wide open when you turn on the tank will do that.

Sounds like the safety device is tripping. It is designed to detect an unregulated flow of gas and shut down the flow. Having the roto burner wide open when you turn on the tank will do that.
Ok so when I have it connected to the burner, it’s the same result, a few seconds and nothing. Could it be a faulty burner control valve? All other burners work fine.

Hmmm. so you still get fuel flow to the main burners when the roto burner is shut down?

That would be something else. I would have to think something is plugging up the roto valve itself. But, I am unfamiliar with those so I don't really know how they work.

On my Wolf there is a safety bulb leading to a thermal valve inside the body of the grill. I don't know if Weber included one on theirs. So on mine the pilot lights, the bulb heats up and then trips the safety valve allowing gas to flow to the IR burner

Yes I installed a new thermocouple, but it’s on the opposite end of the rotisserie burner from the gas inlet along with the igniter.

The thermocouple is either mechanical or electrical. Do you have a tube connecting to a valve? Or a wire?

The thermocouple is either mechanical or electrical. Do you have a tube connecting to a valve? Or a wire?
It’s a copper tube. I blew the gas line out, there was some moisture inside, cleaned the orifice. I turn it on and open the valve and light it manually, it makes a sputtering sound and lights, but not full on, after a minute it just goes out. I’m thinking it’s the control valve.

Yeah sounds like it. FWIW My Wolf had something like this happen. I took the safety (control) valve apart, cleaned and did a relube to the actual safety trip. It is working like a champ and has been for about 10 years now since

Ok guru’s here’s the latest, I took the roto valve out, cleaned it and reassembled it, it seems to work fine, the thermocouple also works fine. My next thought was that maybe having the cover off the back while I was playing with it had something to do with air and gas flow, I installed the cover, and turned it on, it seemed to be working fine… but not quite. It’s heating up, not sputtering but not glowing red, but giving off a fair amount of heat. After about 5 minutes it all of a sudden starts sputtering, puffs a bit of flame and goes out. It repeats the same scenario at every retry. Could it be the burner? I have no idea how a bad IR reacts.

I have no clue, but I am starting to doubt your burner. This is the trouble with the higher end grills and all their doodad extras. All great when working, but then it gets a lot dicier.

Yah, those high up IR burners get a lot of spatter and I am sure that doesn't help things.

I’m still tinkering with this IR burner, it’s becoming an obsession. I took it apart multiple times, went through everything and I have the same result, It starts fine, heats up, after several minutes it begins to flutter, and then a puff of flame and then flutters until I turn it off.

Attachments

• E6096E2D-7B11-40B4-9300-E05286A976B5.jpeg
    E6096E2D-7B11-40B4-9300-E05286A976B5.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 5BE43888-CAF5-4A0D-99E8-629F02C8B685.jpeg
    5BE43888-CAF5-4A0D-99E8-629F02C8B685.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 11

Back