Summit Kamado question

The big joe expander looks interesting - there are sometimes "benefits" to increasing distance between meat and fire. I experimented with some brats on the WSK grill w/charcoal in lower position and liked the results. I could see doing a tri tip on the expander for a little while and then dropping it down on the bottom grate to sear it off of vice/versa.

I've recently been cooking spatchcock chicken directly over charcoal on the lower grate. I slightly overcooked the last one (my fault) but the ones before that were juicy and the skin crispy. The juices and fat dripping onto the coals definitely add a nice flavour.

I've recently been cooking spatchcock chicken directly over charcoal on the lower grate. I slightly overcooked the last one (my fault) but the ones before that were juicy and the skin crispy. The juices and fat dripping onto the coals definitely add a nice flavour.
I do my spatchcock chickens on the performer indirect I use a rub, spray with fake butter helps to crisp them up a bit. I pull my chickens at no more than 155 hate overdone chicken, wrap the chicken in foil let rest 5 minutes or so. If you pull it at that temp they should never be overcooked.

Hi, I have the S6 Kamado and have a few accessories that imo work really well. The spit on fire works well on the WSK and my XL BGE. The ceramic grill store supplied the expander which fit both again and the spider they sell for the BGE XL and again is a simple versatile part that i think can be of use in the WSK.

I also got the woo ring for my BGE and that does fit the WSK im not sure if its of any real benefit. The SNS cast iron griddle sits nicely on the higher charcoal ring and that is a cast iron grate for a large BGE next to it.

Also, the tandoor ring (for the BGE's) adapted to fit the WSK and again works well and is a bit of fun too!!

Attachments

• IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0917.JPG
    IMG_0917.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1598.JPG
    IMG_1598.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1606.JPG
    IMG_1606.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1607.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1608.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1609.JPG
    IMG_1609.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1786.JPG
    IMG_1786.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2102.JPG
    IMG_2102.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2921.JPG
    IMG_2921.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 2768E1CA-2629-489A-A907-731136ADF443.jpg
    2768E1CA-2629-489A-A907-731136ADF443.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 48
  • AF32CCE1-B183-4200-8B45-01307812E96B.jpg
    AF32CCE1-B183-4200-8B45-01307812E96B.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 51
You need the low profile version.

SNS Low Profile for WSK
I had my SNS from my kettle and it works fine in the kamado. If I didn't already have one, I would get the low profile, but with already having this one I can't justify the cost. The kettle SNS only makes the grate on one side slant about an 1/8 of an inch. I use it all the time still in my Kamado and have no issues with it.

Hi, I have the S6 Kamado and have a few accessories that imo work really well. The spit on fire works well on the WSK and my XL BGE. The ceramic grill store supplied the expander which fit both again and the spider they sell for the BGE XL and again is a simple versatile part that i think can be of use in the WSK.

I also got the woo ring for my BGE and that does fit the WSK im not sure if its of any real benefit. The SNS cast iron griddle sits nicely on the higher charcoal ring and that is a cast iron grate for a large BGE next to it.

Also, the tandoor ring (for the BGE's) adapted to fit the WSK and again works well and is a bit of fun too!!
That's quite the collection. Bookmarking for reference next time my wife complains about my stuff!

I loved tandoor grill in India. Do you find a difference when using the tandoor ring vs. horizontal skewers at grate level? Any tips on cooking with it? I was given some fancy skewers and they're sitting in a drawer. This might inspire me to fab up a top plate and use them on the WSK.

That's quite the collection. Bookmarking for reference next time my wife complains about my stuff!

I loved tandoor grill in India. Do you find a difference when using the tandoor ring vs. horizontal skewers at grate level? Any tips on cooking with it? I was given some fancy skewers and they're sitting in a drawer. This might inspire me to fab up a top plate and use them on the WSK.
I prefer the tandoor ring tbh but not sure it makes much of a difference. I bought for the BGE but to use one needs to remove the top vent which i dont like doing so cut a piece off and use in the WSK.

I’ve added only a few things…
  • Second set of Weber tool hooks
  • Vortex that passes between my WSC & the 22 Kettler
  • SNS from the 22 with the height reduced by 1/2” so it can fit in the WSC
  • An extra charcoal grate from…. Hmmm… can’t remember what size. It fits between the upper and lower charcoal grate positions and is perfect for keeping the Vortex below the cooking grate (I sometimes put a CI skillet in the GBS to do reverse sear).

I did get email back from Tom at Ceramic Grill store last week, but it got flagged as spam and didn't notice it until now.

He said said he's had very few inquiries about add-ons for the WSK. He suggested the "Big Joe Expander".

View attachment 56049

View attachment 56050

and a video on a slightly different setup but it does show more detail than the pics.

Has anyone purchased and used this expander? Will a butt or brisket fit on top and not hit the lid?

The other option I see is the weber expander: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/grill-attachments/8532400

I would like to have the butt or brisket higher and then have the drip pan on the main grate to gain distance from the deflector plate.

Thanks,

Todd

Back