Summit Charcoal discontinued?

Jeff Eastman AZ

TVWBB Member
I saw on one of the Facebook groups dedicated to the Summit Charcoal Grill that a Weber rep told an Ace employee that the Summit was going to be discontinued, and they will be producing a new kamado-style cooker.

Has anyone else heard anything like this, or is this possibly BS? I hate to depend on "a Weber rep told an employee at an Ace" type of information... However, I have heard that people have had trouble finding these in stock as of late.

I saw on one of the Facebook groups dedicated to the Summit Charcoal Grill that a Weber rep told an Ace employee that the Summit was going to be discontinued, and they will be producing a new kamado-style cooker.

Has anyone else heard anything like this, or is this possibly BS? I hate to depend on "a Weber rep told an employee at an Ace" type of information... However, I have heard that people have had trouble finding these in stock as of late.

I thought the Summit was already a kamado style cooker.
I have not heard that it's being discontinued. I know many places have a hard time selling this grill, so I'm sure most stores don't bother stocking them anymore and just stick to special orders.
Weber grills in general are harder to find than they typically would be this time of year. So many more people staying at home not going out to eat. It's created a spike in sales that Weber didn't see coming. Lots of grilling related stores are being hit hard with this spike in demand.

I bet it's just rumors, just like the annual rumor that Weber charcoal briquettes are going away.

Interesting that 2020 marks the first year that the Summit charcoal grills make an appearance in the annual product catalog...only to be discontinued? Don't have any definitive info at this time.

I wonder if Ace is discontinuing them? I know locally they haven't been great sellers for them. However, watching some Facebook groups and a couple forums they still have a strong following and see people buying new ones all the time. The new kamado style cooker could be confusion with the new Master-Touch Premium.

Some have removed the table and dropped another kettle in on the other side. Definitely works with an SSP frame. A modern frame might be a little tight but I think it would work. I have seen a custom set up made with a table in the middle but it requires a pipe bender to fabricate.

Would love to see a double wide performer! Two kettles separated by a table.

The Summit was replaced with the Kamado, same unit without the propane lighter and a non hinged diffuser plate. The first gen Kamado had a problem with the stand and wheels so they made improvements and raised the price to cover the better stand and wheels. I have the new current Kamado and totally love it. It is out of stock at Weber but Ace Hardware has some if you check around.

What he said. ^^^ the Weber summit charcoal (Gen 1) was discontinued a few years back and then rebranded to the current version (Gen 2) with the name Kamado style. I got my Gen 1 in 2020 from an ace as a fire sale because they had been discontinued. Later in 2020 into 2021 Weber started advertising/hyping them again, taking pre orders and like Chris said added it to the website. Hope this helps.

I think Weber did a marketing switch. There were originally two Weber Summits, one gas and one charcoal. It got confusing plus the name was too long, Weber Summit Charcoal. just my humble opinion.:)

I think Weber did a marketing switch. There were originally two Weber Summits, one gas and one charcoal. It got confusing plus the name was too long, Weber Summit Charcoal. just my humble opinion.:)

Don't think you are quite on track there....they did do a marketing change - from the "Weber Summit Charcoal" to the "Weber Summit Kamado"....still "Summits"...but with the E6 (standalone) and S6 (table). They really wanted to get the "Kamado" name in there would be my guess to try compete in that market.

Last edited:
Don't think you are quite on track there....they did do a marketing change - from the "Weber Summit Charcoal" to the "Weber Summit Kamado"....still "Summits"...but with the E6 (standalone) and S6 (table).
I think it was a marketing and pricing switch to get Kamado added. So many people I talked to did not know what the Gen 1 was (that is not a Kamado that is a kettle). Adding the name Kamado and getting it closer in price with other big name Kamados (BGE and KJ) was what I think the Gen 2 is all about.

What he said. ^^^ the Weber summit charcoal (Gen 1) was discontinued a few years back and then rebranded to the current version (Gen 2) with the name Kamado style. I got my Gen 1 in 2020 from an ace as a fire sale because they had been discontinued. Later in 2020 into 2021 Weber started advertising/hyping them again, taking pre orders and like Chris said added it to the website. Hope this helps.
Summit charcoal was not discontinued a couple years back. It was just late last year/early this year.

I think it was a marketing and pricing switch to get Kamado added. So many people I talked to did not know what the Gen 1 was (that is not a Kamado that is a kettle). Adding the name Kamado and getting it closer in price with other big name Kamados (BGE and KJ) was what I think the Gen 2 is all about.
Summit charcoal is the exact same bowl as the Kamado. There is no difference. Only differences are the cart, diffuser, and possibly the grates (I haven’t been around a Kamado yet to see if grates are the same as my Summit charcoal.)

The Summit was replaced with the Kamado, same unit without the propane lighter and a non hinged diffuser plate. The first gen Kamado had a problem with the stand and wheels so they made improvements and raised the price to cover the better stand and wheels. I have the new current Kamado and totally love it. It is out of stock at Weber but Ace Hardware has some if you check around.
The stand looks to be the same
They added 2 more locking casters for a total of 3 and did away with the axle/plastic wheels
Love my WSC.
And I've found that the charcoal ring from a 18" WSM fits perfectly in the WSC, like it was made for it

And I've found that the charcoal ring from a 18" WSM fits perfectly in the WSC, like it was made for it
Yes.. Part 7441. Drops right in the middle position. I use this setup when using the large Vortex allowing it to sit low enough to be under the cooking grate.

I have the Gen I. I like the single locking caster design. The stand is absolutely rock solid.

Back