Summit 420 repair attempt

Made some more progress this afternoon. Decided to just get the grill usable and concentrate on a full restoration this winter. Made the bottom panel solid, but plan a completely custom panel this winter using different sheet metal and some welded supports. I'll sandblast the entire frame etc and repaint so it's all consistent. Overall, it's a fantastic grill in usable shape for the time being. Only thing that was as bit of a hangup is the new burners from Weber simply don't fit. Anyway have an email into Weber asking for help. The new burners seem to be just simply too large. Anyone else have this issue before? By getting this into usable shape and out of the garage will leave more space (which is at a premium) available to year down the 650 **** and go through that. More to follow on that build!
I had the same problem with my burners and it's just the enamel is a bit thick in that area. I laid it down at angle and gave it the old wiggle and jiggle and it slips in. Once in you can go back and touch up the edges with stove paint or high heat paint. As I was told its one of the reasons it prematurely rusts out.

Attachments

• 20230816_122123.jpg
    20230816_122123.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230816_122043.jpg
    20230816_122043.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 8
Set the micrometer to the side of the new ones, then set the old burner tubes in the mic. This is the size difference. That just will never fit, no way

Attachments

• PXL_20230819_100606894.jpg
    PXL_20230819_100606894.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 10
To make matters more confusing... The burners in my 650 are the same size as the replacements. The 650 burners also don't fit the 420. Really odd

To make matters more confusing... The burners in my 650 are the same size as the replacements. The 650 burners also don't fit the 420. Really odd
Those burners look worn down from deterioration. Double check the numbers as I have a 420 and 450 and they use the same part that I verified during install. Note the picture I posted and how the hole looks bigger than the burner but it was tight. Now they are smooth as glass in and out. Part #81547 note on the the original cookbox the marks are also there from the rubbing. You may in fact have the wrong part but if not then it's just enamel. 20230819_115322.jpg

Attachments

• 20230819_115528.jpg
    20230819_115528.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
At this point it's rather get aftermarket burners that might be lower quality but not harm the cookbox. The box for the 650 arrived yesterday and the new burners don't seem to fit through the holes on that one either

I figured I had nothing to lose, so I tried putting them in the freezer to see if they would shrink JUST enough to fit. Nope, not quite. Well, I decided to basically touch them for about a second at each "corner" where they were contacting the cook box. It looks like where they pinch the tube at the end to flatten it out and seal it up it becomes just a touch to big. The flap disc idea worked, and I'm about ready to take it for a test cook! Finally 😁. I was able to clean up and salvage the flavorizer bars. I'd love to have shiny new stainless ones, but not at this time. Not yet

Attachments

• PXL_20230821_205415186.jpg
    PXL_20230821_205415186.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230821_205419067.jpg
    PXL_20230821_205419067.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230821_205839804.jpg
    PXL_20230821_205839804.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230821_173310_01.jpg
    IMG_20230821_173310_01.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 6
Probably a dumb question, but did you try putting the burner tubes inside the cook box first and sticking the other end through the holes? Anyway, I'm glad you made it work and those flavorizer still look to be in good shape. I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace them either.

Probably a dumb question, but did you try putting the burner tubes inside the cook box first and sticking the other end through the holes? Anyway, I'm glad you made it work and those flavorizer still look to be in good shape. I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace them either.
I did try that, they are too long so it isn't possible to get them through. I have it running for the first time, only issue seems to be that the regulator and line was full of water. Flushed that and now it's cooking. The far left burner needs to be lit with as lighter, even though there is plenty of spark. I'll have to take it apart and see if I can find out why is doing that. Any suggestions?

The far left burner needs to be lit with as lighter, even though there is plenty of spark. I'll have to take it apart and see if I can find out why is doing that. Any suggestions?
It could just be the spark isn't reaching the gas, check the position of the sparker. It might just be positioned slightly off.

It could just be the spark isn't reaching the gas, check the position of the sparker. It might just be positioned slightly off.
Just figured it out, that ignition tube was plugged. I've never seen an ignition like that before, didn't even know what to look for. Holy crap that is a hell of an ignition on these summits!

I did try that, they are too long so it isn't possible to get them through. I have it running for the first time, only issue seems to be that the regulator and line was full of water. Flushed that and now it's cooking. The far left burner needs to be lit with as lighter, even though there is plenty of spark. I'll have to take it apart and see if I can find out why is doing that. Any suggestions?
adjust the distance from the electrode to the burner. It should be about 1/8" or a tad bigger gap. Also, make sure the electrode is pushed far enough forward so it is over the burner outlets.

I figured I had nothing to lose, so I tried putting them in the freezer to see if they would shrink JUST enough to fit. Nope, not quite. Well, I decided to basically touch them for about a second at each "corner" where they were contacting the cook box. It looks like where they pinch the tube at the end to flatten it out and seal it up it becomes just a touch to big. The flap disc idea worked, and I'm about ready to take it for a test cook! Finally 😁. I was able to clean up and salvage the flavorizer bars. I'd love to have shiny new stainless ones, but not at this time. Not yet
I have a few in good shape and a few that need some work. Lmk

I was running short on gas so I didn't give it a long time to heat up, but how hot to these get? My old Genesis gold will bury the thermometer while this one at a reading of 500 FEELS like it's throwing a ton more heat when I open the lid. I wonder which one is reading wrong, or if the hood in the summit just directs the heat differently. It'll be interesting to cook on tonight, seems quite a bit different. Thinking I might hang the tank on the outside like my Genesis, leaving more useable cabinet space underneath

Likely neither is wrong. Just reading differently. Also remember the Summit has a higher domed lid. Combine that with there are more burners and more BTU so yeah you will feel more blast furnace effect

Back