Summer brisket and other things...

M. Rollins

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello all. It's been close to forever since I have posted here, although I visit here just about every day. I thought I would get back to it with a post from a cook earlier this summer. We took a trip to San Diego to visit my sister and brother-in-law and their twin 6 yo daughters. San Diego is about a 9 hr drive for us. Since they don't get to make it up here too often, they haven't sampled any of my que (not that it's so great, but…). So I packed up my WSM and a box of cooking supplies and headed south. I also brought down a batch of PP I had done the day before we left (I wasn't sure if I'd have time to it down there). I don't have a meat source down there, so I relied on Costco. I picked up some baby backs to go with the PP. Unfortunately it was so hectic that I didn't get any pics of this cook. Which is too bad because these were probably the best ribs I have ever done! I made some of Steve Patrone's Lexington vinegar sauce for the PP. Also had some Keri's Hog-apple Baked Beans and a few other sides. It was a quite a feast! A couple of days later, I fired up the WSM again and threw on a big brisket flat (also bought at Costco). This was my first time doing just a flat, so I was a bit nervous…especially since I was going High Heat. Here is the flat on the grill…
8036836251_748afd987d_c.jpg

8036837173_1019a7dfdb_c.jpg

And here is the finished product…
8036837777_5961153025_c.jpg

8036839444_8829714269_c.jpg

As you can see, the end was a little crumbly. But the brisket turned out great. Full of flavor and plenty moist. I still prefer to do a packer, but it's good to know that I can do a flat if needed. More importantly, everyone loved both meals. And I made sure to cook enough to be able to leave behind plenty of leftovers for my sister and her fam. It was definitely worth packing everything up and taking it with us. Thanks for looking. I hope everyone is having a great weekend..!!!

Mike

Brisket looks super! I have one on tap for tomorrow so I hope it turns out 1/2 is good as yours looks!

Thank you all so much for the kind comments!! Man, it's great to be posting again :D

@Sparky - For the ribs, I used some left over rub I had made a while back. It was pretty basic: onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, chili powder, ancho chile powder, and a little brown sugar. For the brisket, I literally just threw some ingredients in a bowl. I don't even think I measured anything. It was very similar to the rib rub, minus the brown sugar, with an emphasis on the pepper and ancho. I'm with those who never add salt to rubs. I salt the meat a short time before adding the rub. Hope that helps.

Thanks again, everyone!

Mike

Mike,

Good looking BBQ !

For a full packer (choice, prime & wago) and anything else meat wise from a very well known source, might I suggest... T&H Prime Meats and Sausage. Located in San Marcos (north SD county), a quick side step from either the 15 or the 5. They can even ship to your destination.

Bob

Thanks Bob! I'll remember that for next time. My sister lives right off 15 in the Mira Mesa area. Definitely sounds like it would be worth the drive. I'll check it out.

Mike

Back