Suggestions on the best rub for Pork Butts

Steve W in NC

TVWBB Member
I am doing my first brisket this weekend and will do a pork butt at the same time. In the past for a pork butt I have used the KC Rub recipe as written in the Weber BBQ cookbook. I am considering as a different option for the butt using the Texas BBQ Rub I ordered for the brisket. Another option is the Southern Succor recipe listed on this website. What do you experienced BBQ chefs think?

I just did my first butt w/ Chris Lily's injection and championship rub a couple weeks back. I thought it was fantastic. You'll find it in the Cooking Topics.

If the Southern Succor Rub is the same one from "Smoke and Spice", it is not very good IMHO. Too much paprika. Texas BBQ Rub is GREAT on pork. I use it exclusively in my catering business and buy it 50 lbs at a crack. DH

Did Southern Succor a couple of weeks ago and wasn't impressed. I like the Bad Byron's better and can't wait to make my first batch of Wolfe Rub.

Pat

i've had great success with the texas bbq rub. it really depends on what you like
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Wolfe Rub Original is very good on pork!

i saw pork butts on sale for .97/lb in the bottom dollar sales paper. i may have to get some to see how right you are. fyi, WRO is awesome mixed in twice grilled taters
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Wolfe Rub Original is very good on pork!
LMAO!!! I was going to put that up for fun!

Tony, thanks for that info. The wife wants some butt this weekend.

Originally posted by Dennis F:

Where is the recipe for the Wolfe Rub Original?
Thanks

information on getting the recipe for your personal use can be found HERE i have made all but the citrus and i can tell you that the original and bold recipes themselves are more than worth the $25 donation asked.

I ended up with a 7 pound brisket and 7 pound butt. I figure about 10 hours max for the cooking and two hours of rest in the ice chest. So I will start the fire at 6:30AM tomorrow morning. I'm leaning towards Kevin Kruger's rub for the butt and the Texas BBQ brisket rub for the brisket. I will post pictures later.

sounds like a plan to me. i have used that rub of kev's and it is good. i'm doing two butts tonight but decided to go with wolfe original. i have to get my money's worth out of larry's lift
icon_biggrin.gif

UPDATE:
Got everything started at 7:30AM. It only took 45 minutes to get to 235 degrees which surprised me. After one-and-a-half hours of cooking I'm at 244 degrees grill temperature and 148 degrees internal temperature on the brisket (lower grill) with the vents at about 15 to 20 % open.

I hope the cooking slows down soon or I will be ready too soon. Of course I have the "wall" in the 170s to get through so I'm pretty sure things will level off before long. Pictures to follow this afternoon.

Plateau usually occurs in the low- to mid-160s. Regardless, timing is hard to gauge by early internal temps. If it gets done early it shouldn't be an issue to hold or cool/reheat.

Getting done too early is better than late when company is involved. Another issue too is probe placement for the remote thermometer. I hope I inserted into the meat, but I could have missed and gotten into the fat. So before I pull it off, I will use the Thermapan instant reading to get a check in several loactions on the brisket.

Kevin, I'm using your recipe for the butt. I'll let you know how I like it. I couldn't locate the New Mexico Chili Powder after checking three different stores, so I just used regular chili powder. I will order some New Mexico Chili Powder online soon and do it correctly according to your recipe.

Back