Suggestions for a pair of ribs

Ivson Passos Jr

Guys I am throwing a pair of ribs on my OTG this weekend and would like to gather your advice on that. I got one slab of Spare Ribs and one of belly ribs.

I intended to follow the AmazinRibs' Last Meal Ribs recipe located here: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html.

I don't have a digital thermometer, only one of those dial oven ones, so I hope I can manage to keep the temperature where it needs to be (225). Any advice on how many briquettes I should start with and how many I should add every hour would be awesome. The site suggests half chimney lit on top of half unlit but never mentions the size of the chimney or how many briquettes are added during the process.

I have hickory and mesquite chips and thought I would use hickory. What do you think?

Please share any of those "Oh man, if only I knew that before..." type of deals. :)

Sorry if I am asking too much here.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ivson, I highly recommend the snake method, you wont need to add any coals, and hickory works just fineyou can start with about 20 lit coals and that should get you close to 250 with the vents set about halfway top and bottom, works every time for me.
tritipandbrats003.jpg

Definitely use the snake method as seen above. It works great. Just place the lit coals on one end of the snake and it will slowly light along the length of the snake as your cook progresses. And if you need to cook longer just add more unlit coals as seen above to the end of the snake.

Ok, following your advice I decided to use the snake method (instead of the one suggested by AmazingRibs.com). People tend to prefer this over the 2-zone indirect cooking method because it seems to be easier to control the temperature. Since I don't have a very reliable digital thermometer, I thought it would be safer to go with the snake. I based my charcoal amounts and position based on Mike's post and Aussie Griller's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGRbyg_zeI

This is how I had my charcoal:
yymu.jpg

This is my OTG ready to go:
x4rw.jpg

Meat on the grill:
qb03.jpg

Smoking:
vynt.jpg

~2.5 hours into cooking this is what I have burned of fuel:
idk8.jpg

I couldn't keep the temperature at 225, it got stuck at 250:
rf8a.jpg

The unfinished product (~2.5 hours of cooking)
o7vr.jpg

And... It's done. It's time to eat!
j0ra.jpg

h9jl.jpg

hilp.jpg

I welcome any constructive criticism.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Looking good Ivson.

2.5 hours is a fast cook. Get a rib. Rack so you can fit more ribs if you have friends over.

250 is a fine temp to cook ribs,. They look good. Were you happy with them? Tender enough? Good taste? Did you rub them ? Did you make sauce? What's that drink on the counter? Jeeze , I just turned into an annoying 5 year old , maybe my wife is right! .......Details , brother!!

try the 3-2-1 method next time. I cook spares for 6 hours 3 uncovered - 2 wrapped in foil with some liquid of some kind- then one last hour saucing them.

Hey guys, I guess I failed to inform on my pictures that the total cook time was about 4,5 hours. I decided to to pull it off the grill after the bend test.

Frank, no problem here are the details:

Were you happy with them? Tender enough?
I was really happy with them. They were juicy and reasonably tender. The meat was not falling off the bone like my wife likes it, but it was tender enough for me. It was my first slab of ribs ever, so I think I did a good job for a first timer.

Good taste? Did you rub them ?
The taste was really good. I did rub them with the red rub recipe I learned from the Tasted Youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCxL9PVVaxc). I rubbed it one hour before throwing them on the grill. The L&S cooking did allow the rub to penetrate the meat because I could feel the flavor in every bite.

What's that drink on the counter?
That is an Angolan soft drink made from pineapple. It is called Blue (although it's yellow, go figure...)

I guess I can try to use Hamilton's suggestion with the foil to get that falling of the bone meat that my wife likes. What do you think? I thought that just cooking it uncovered longer than 4 or 5 hours would dry the meet too much.

Also, do you guys usually trim the rib to separate that top part with the smaller bones? I thought I would have enjoyed my ribs a little more if I just had less bones to go through. How do you trim your ribs?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Back