Sugarless Pork Rub

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
I did a pork butt (8 lbs., bone-in) for a Super Bowl party. The host is doing the keto thing, which means "no sugar." So I decided to wing it on a sugarless rub. It was awesome. Didn't miss the sugar at all and in fact, the other flavors seemed to be brighter without it. The recipe below was enough for a thorough coating with about a tablespoon or two left over

Sugarless Pork Rub

2 Tbsp. Kosher salt
1 Tbsp. Coarse pepper
1 Tbsp. Mexican chili powder
1 Tbsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Granulated garlic
1 tsp. Granulated onion
1/2 tsp. Cayenne

I used a thin coat of Spicy Brown mustard as a slather rather than yellow mustard.

The cook was 14 hours @ 250°, wrapped in butcher paper for the last 6. It came out at 190° and was tender enough to almost pull itself.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Great job there!!!!! Thank you for sharing your recipe with us. Made a copy of the whole thing for someday soon. I really like cooking with Pork Butt.

HA HA HA I just read what I posted above. Really, I don't know anybody named Pork Butt. lol

Hi Jeff,
Great job there!!!!! Thank you for sharing your recipe with us. Made a copy of the whole thing for someday soon. I really like cooking with Pork Butt.
Thanks, Joan. My typical pork rub recipe has sugar but no salt when I mix it in bulk. I think that ribs need much less salt than a butt, so I'll put the appropriate amount of salt on the meat first, then the rest of the rub. It seems to work out ok. Since this cook was a butt, I felt ok about the amount of salt versus other ingredients. If fact, my original thought was to do it Central Texas style with just salt and pepper, but I like what chili powder and paprika do for pork, so I really did just wing it on the spur of the moment. Call me Lucky.

Lucky

For a lot of years, I only used Chris's Sugarless Texas Sprinkle on ribs, from the Cooking Topics page , its pretty close to yours.

Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Barbecue Rub

• 1/3 cup table salt
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 3 Tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 Tablespoon granulated garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon cayenne

Back