Substitute For Pepper Jelly?

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I have a ham glaze recipe that I want to try this upcoming weekend and one of the ingredients is pepper jelly. I have been to 3 super markets and none of them carry it. I know it will have a different flavor profile but I was thinking of using apricot preserves mixed with some chipotle powder as a substitute. The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of pepper jelly, so I would use 2 tablespoons of apricot preserves and 1/4 teaspoon of chipotle powder. Any advice/input? Thanks.

You could do that. The chipotle will add smoky note which are not usually present in most pepper jelly but not a big deal.

If it were me I would pick a light jelly/preserve say peach, mango, pineapple. Dump the jar in a pan and just warm it up. Then I would take some Jals, red would be preferred. Open them up, scrape seed and membrane, chop dice or whatever toss them in a pan to pre cook a bit and add to that light jelly or perserve mix.

To me that might be better than the typical pepper jelly mix. Especially if you grab some of the red Jal fresh mix in the local big box grocery. I found at the local Super Fresh that on season they have this little basket of red peppers, not bells but Jal, whatever mix. Pretty interesting. In fact if I go there today and they still have them I may just buy a couple pound to string and dry for toasted Italian style dried hot peppers.

Basically though take a lighter fruit jelly and add sauteed hot peppers to it. Jals would be fine. If you want to go hotter just spend some time researching the scoville scale and add what you think would work for you. Fresh Scotch Bonnet would be fun.

Or just take one of your favorite hot pepper mixes and throw in some. It would just be a matter of taking a light fruit jelly and adding heat. Once it is mixed together you will have the pepper jelly you are looking for.

In summary pick a jelly base you like and add heat by taking fresh hot pepper of choice and a short saute and dump them into that base. If you don't have fresh hots then just add the hot sauce of choice to taste. Srirachi or other typical hot sauce will work fine.

It's as simple as that.

Want smoke flavor in it? Then just add some smoked paprika else some other smoked dried chili that has been reconstituted or some minced chipotle out of the can to taste until you get to the smoke note you want.

The trouble with using sriracha in it is introduces garlic into the mix.

I just made a batch of strawberry/raspberry/jalapeno jam.

I used 5 japs (3 seeded, 2 unseeded) with a pound of strawberries, etc.

My recipe made ~ 4 1/2 pt jars.

I would suggest heating up your jelly (as has been suggested) and add ONE jap (seeded is hotter than unseeded), cook it up and try it.

Mine has a nice berry sweetness and the heat hits you at the back end.

You can always add another but you can't take away the heat (other than by diluting it with more straight jelly).

Thank you all for the advice. I ended up using the apricot preserves and chipotle powder and it turned out pretty good. I will definitely try adding the jalapenoes next time. I was thinking about maybe using it as a rib glaze. Should I puree the jals first if using as a glaze?

Back