Stuffed Fatty Recipes

Steve W in NC

TVWBB Member
I was looking around the site today and saw a few references to "fatty". I did a search and found a few more references to "fatty". Now my interest is piqued. How about some more details with specific recipes. I would think a stuffed fatty with Jimmy Dean sausage, mushrooms, onions, garlic, cheddar cheese and Peperdige Farm stuffing would be awsome. How about some feedback with cooking time, temperature, rub suggestion, etc.

Your fatty sounds good to me save the stuffing. That may work though. I am always amazed at what folks come up with.

The way I make mine is that after I roll them I stick them in the refrigerator/freezer to firm up the roll before putting it on the WSM.

I sprinkle rub over them directly b4 placing on the WSM. The rub I use is my rib rub. I only use a little to enhance things.

The WSM runs at 225. Fatties are done in about two hours . . . maybe a little longer. I don't take an internal, I go by feel.

A fatty, for me, is one of those never-the-same-way twice kind of foods (aka whatever you have on hand). I saute the garlic, onions, and peppers before I add them to the sausage. cheese seems important . . . at least to my wife and me.
icon_smile.gif

Experiment and you'll find what you like. Take photographs and post with your review here. I am interested in knowing how you like stuffing in the fatty. Maybe I'll have to try that at some point.

Originally posted by RDOwens:
Your fatty sounds good to me save the stuffing. That may work though. I am always amazed at what folks come up with.

The way I make mine is that after I roll them I stick them in the refrigerator/freezer to firm up the roll before putting it on the WSM.

I sprinkle rub over them directly b4 placing on the WSM. The rub I use is my rib rub. I only use a little to enhance things.

The WSM runs at 225. Fatties are done in about two hours . . . maybe a little longer. I don't take an internal, I go by feel.

A fatty, for me, is one of those never-the-same-way twice kind of foods (aka whatever you have on hand). I saute the garlic, onions, and peppers before I add them to the sausage. cheese seems important . . . at least to my wife and me.
icon_smile.gif

Experiment and you'll find what you like. Take photographs and post with your review here. I am interested in knowing how you like stuffing in the fatty. Maybe I'll have to try that at some point.

Thanks for your recipe. I will give you some feedback on the stuffing idea. With pork (especially sausage) being somewhat fatty, it seems to me that some stuffing would be a plus. Although Jimmy Dean sausage is very lean.

One question on the cheese: What cheese works best? Several posts talked about problems with certain cheeses in a fatty. I was considering using cheddar.

I'd say follow RD's lead,the guy can construct a fatty! Ed C. has done some really good ones too though I don't know if he's posted many of them.

There's some great sausage out there made by "New York Sausage Company." I like their roasted red pepper and caramelized onion sausage, excellent for fatties.

One of our favorites is is pretty simple, I do exactly what RD does to prep then I place a piece of monterrey jack cheese in the middle and roll. On the smoker 2 to 2:30 and she's done. When doing a cheese fatty I prefer the cheese to be semi-soft vs. melted, makes cutting and eating easier.

Since we are talking about fatty's Im gonna cook my first one for a superbowl party...

Do you guys use lean ground pork as your base for the roll? or brand names like New York Sausage and Jimmy Dean? (these are more like breakfast sausage types)

any tips would be much appreciated!

I have used Jimmy Dean, Farmer John and no-name brands. By far my favorite is the sausage by "New York Style Sausage Company." It's excellent, my favorite is their Roasted Bell Pepper & Carmelized Onion (I got it wrong above), however, their Vino & Formaggio (sp?) is good too. Highly recommend!
NYSS-Rolls.jpg

Here in California we have the New York brand ones on the right.. I have not seen the Black Labled ones anywhere.

I normally eat these type with breakfast.. Thanks for the info!

Tim, I'm down the road from you in Fresno. Here Winco sells them and Save Mart who carries the products on the right will order a case (I dont' have to purchase the entire case) of the "Gourmet Signature Line" if I tell them I want some. Don't know why they don't just stock it, it's awesome. Freezes very well to so if you find some pick-up a few extra and throw them in the freezer. Good luck on your fatty and be sure to post some pics!

Originally posted by LarryR:
Tim, I'm down the road from you in Fresno. Here Winco sells them and Save Mart who carries the products on the right will order a case (I dont' have to purchase the entire case) of the "Gourmet Signature Line" if I tell them I want some. Don't know why they don't just stock it, it's awesome. Freezes very well to so if you find some pick-up a few extra and throw them in the freezer. Good luck on your fatty and be sure to post some pics!

Ok thanks

We have a Savemart just down the street. At Safeway if they do not have a product I want, they wont order it.. I have to submit a wish list form.

I just never goto Savemart because there are so many good choices here for meat... (Mainly Costco and Safeway, and sometimes Kinders)

I may have to jump into the fatty pool soon - maybe for the super bowl. So, regular old Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage?

Maybe some spicy Italian sausage, w/ Mozz, peppers and mushrooms?

Tim,

Where is the Savemart in Ptown? I live just up Dougherty in Windamere in SR. Have you looked in the new Smart and Final over by the In and Out Burger? Since Costco stopped carrying bulk paprika, I get it at S&F.

I'm gonna try my hand at smoking peameal this week( been curing since Thurs last week). Question is though, can I do a fatty at the same time, just take a little longer because of the cooler temps, or should I wait until the loin is done, then cook the fatty at a higher temp?

Originally posted by Chuck R:
Tim,

Where is the Savemart in Ptown? I live just up Dougherty in Windamere in SR. Have you looked in the new Smart and Final over by the In and Out Burger? Since Costco stopped carrying bulk paprika, I get it at S&F.

Chuck,

I stand corrected! It was Smart and Final, not Savemart... I just went yesterday and they didnt have anything..

I think there is a savemart in Livermore I'll have to check online

Back