Strip Steaks "Where's the Beef Flavor?"

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Stocked up on some USDA Choice strip steaks at $4.80/lb after the store's 20% off discount on Thursdays.

Second time cooking them, and I have to say:
Where's the beef taste like that found in sirloins, rib-eyes, and chuck-eyes?

Two thick steaks, small one with salt only, the big one with some Stubb's Beef Marinade.
Both dried before hitting the grill.
IMGP0185.JPG

CI pan with mushrooms, onions, garlic, butter, and a splash of Stubb's Beef.
IMGP0190.JPG

WI apple wood for some smoke.
IMGP0195.JPG

Chillin' with some fine bourbon and g-ale.
IMGP0199.JPG

Salt spuds, garlic bread, and steaks ready to pull.
IMGP0216.JPG

IMGP0212.JPG

IMGP0226.JPG

Looks good, tender enough, but both lacked a good beefy steak flavor.
Not aged long enough or marbled well enough?
May have to make strip steak stew with some of the other ones.

Clean your grills and smokers boys and girls, Smoke Day VIII is a coming!!

Greetings from North Carolina. Ihave lived here about 15 years now and cannot find any beef that has really great flavor. I moved here from Las Vegas and could get really great beef from the super market. I guess the beef here in NC is from Florida but it does not compare to what I could get in Vegas.
Oh well, have to make the best with what you can get. The only local place for steaks is Food Lion--price concidered I am not impressed.

Ben

Looks AWESOME to me Bobby!
Beautiful Grill Marks!
the Shrooms+Onions+Gaaaaalic+Butter looks GreatToo!
I'm even diggin' your Cocktail & it's Coaster!
<span class="ev_code_GREY">let's not forget the gaaaaalic bread & those tatersToo!</span>
YeahMan, those Steaks looks IDEAL!
icon_biggrin.gif
i'm having only brats tonight...
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Looks AWESOME to me Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed! I have the same results with strip. It's a bit too fine-grained and lean to hold much flavor for me. But you naturally make it look Grade A.

Nice looking pictures Bob! Grill marks look great although I have has the same experience with the strips... Burbon and ginger ale? Is that good? Never crossed my mind to ever try that!!

Killer grillmarks and sear/color and with standard equipment! I also get an occasional bland strip or ribeye. Haven't sorted the reason yet. Current working guess has to do with the breed (angus) and grain finish. But.. it hasn't always worked. Somehow search is fun enough for me to keep trying
icon_wink.gif

Bob, you have created another excellent looking meal. Have to agree about strip steaks not having much beefy flavor. I like to marinade strips in something like Moore's or Dale's and that seems to add to the flavor as long as they aren't marinaded too long, usually just a few hours.

What they lacked in flavor was not because of preparation or execution because it sure looks excellent!!

I'm with Bill.
The same is what he said.
It looks fantastic.
But I believe you, Bob. I have always believed that what you wrote.
We all sometimes happens that things look better than they actually are
icon_wink.gif

B0B: your posts Always makes me happy. Great pics/Cool ideas/And Superb food!
icon_smile.gif

Check
Check
Check

You pass!

Back