Storing wood chunks in SW Florida

Mike Barrett

I have some fruit and hardwood chunks and I'm trying to figure out the best way to store them. I'm just north of Sarasota, FL, so something like a deck box isn't a good idea because of mold and mildew. The deck box we have for our pool toys grows all kinds of stuff. I've currently got the wood stored inside where the temp is usually around 77 degrees and the humidity is managed. I'm wondering if it might be better to put it in the garage where there's a bit more humidity. Thoughts?

Yea put in it the garage and let it breathe, out of direct sunlight in a perforated container.

Tim

FOR THE GARAGE:
I would think about making a rack out of 2X4's or maybe get an inexpensive wire shelf
(the sturdy kind, with the tubular legs with "Tootsie-Roll Grooves" and tapered chucks for shelf adjustment)
Keep it off the slab - minimizes bugs

If it's in your garage - I would think about sliding a mouse trap or two under it (Unless it'll create a problem for your pets).
Wood piles seem to attract a variety of critters that you probably don't want in your garage

OUTDOOR - MOISTURE-RESISTANT:
Otherwise, if you want to store it outdoors - I would think about a wood crib with shelves, open sides, and a "roof" that will keep most of the rain off of it.
Only keep two or three layers on each shelf, so that the stored wood can get air (A deep pile will collect moisture and will be problematic in your climate)

Where you are, I would use Composite Deck Wood, Cedar, or strong PVC Pipe. You can find rot-resistant, fiber-reinforced "wood crib brackets" at some home improvement stores.
Situate it in a spot where it gets some wind and preferably gets baked by the sun a bit if such a spot exists on your property that will not aggravate the neighbors.

Last edited:
Yea put in it the garage and let it breathe, out of direct sunlight in a perforated container.
Tim
Jim Lampe gave me a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid and holes drilled in the side for ventilation, it works great.
It came with apple wood slabs included. :)

Back