Storing homemade bbq sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duane Riggs

TVWBB Member
I am making up a few bbq sauces for personal use. I would like to make up enough for a couple of friends to try also.

I am not a "canner" so i was wondering the storage life, containers and safety precautions to use to pass out some sauce to friends.

Hi Duane. I do quite a bit of canning and this would be my first choice for long term storage. Barring that, canning jars would still be a good way to package your sauce, and you can personalize a label to go on them as well. How long the sauce lasts really depends on whats in it. Hi acidity (tomatoes, vinegar) and/or hi salt content would extend the storage life significantly if kept refrigerated. In any event, if your not going to process it (canning) then try not to make more than what would be used within 2 months time or so.

Tony

Tony, have you ever tried freezing it? Maybe by the cup in a ziplock, remove it frozen then thaw?

Thanks for the responses.

I am not planning to make big batches to store, since I am working on some different recipes. I am just going to make 2-3 cups of sauce for my own immediate use. But I would like to maybe double or triple that amount for some friends to get their opinion.
And I want to tell them generally speaking "store it in the fridge and use within "X" amount of time or pitch it".

The "X" amount of time is what I am not sure of?

Hi Duane. I make my own sauce as well and am wondering if anyone out there has some links about cannning? Is there any reason that you can not freeze the sauce. thanks

I've had bad luck trying to freeze tomato-based sauces and salsa's. They seem to separate out into water and "other stuff" when thawed.

my marinara sauce does the same....I was thinking it might not matter much for a bbq sauce that's gonna get cooked on, either mix in the water or drain it off ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn W:
Tony, have you ever tried freezing it? Maybe by the cup in a ziplock, remove it frozen then thaw? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have frozen pasta sauce many times with good results. As Konevik mentioned, the water does tend to seperate out a bit, but after putting in a pot, strirring and warming it up you'd never know the difference. Only reason I havn't canned sauce is cuz it never lasts that long aroung here, /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, and of course, freezing is more convenient.
As far as storage in the fridge, again, the high acidity of tomatoes and/or vinegar based sauces makes for an unfriendly place for most bacteria. If your just making a small batch for your freinds, it should be used up pretty fast anyways, but I would think that 1-2 months in the fridge wouldn't be unreasonable.

...Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back