StokerLog Version 5 Preview

Originally posted by Derrick Russ:
Did I hear that some use wireless gaming adapters and/or wireless printservers as bridges? I am looking for a wireless option and have not found one yet.

Can anyone out there recommend an inexpensive wireless bridge that you have had good success with? Preferably something that would support WPA Personal/AES encryption for security as that is how I have my home wireless configured.

Thanks!

I haven't used this one yet,, but it will act as a bridge so it should work fine and for $20 it's worth the risk.

I will likely install DD-WRT firmware on the unit when it arrives.

edit: deal expires today, 4/17/08, so you may need to act fast.

I checked the documentation on line at Airlink101 and did not see that you could set this up as a bridge. Of Course the documentation indicated that this was the 420W and not the 430W.

In any event, I decided to give the 431W access point a try and ordered it from Frys for 44.

Does anyone out there have a excel template that you have used to view the past logs in a graph format?

Or perhaps a description of the columns in the log file that I could use to build one? One interesting challenge the comes to mind is how you would bring the notes into the graph and/or prevent the notes from messing up the graph.

Amir,

I haven't started using your new version yet, but I plan on installing it for my future cooks. I have 2 questions about the new version.
1. If I change the temperature setting from my Stoker or another web application, does your new version detect the changes and update the temp windows or do we have to do a manual refresh?

2. If I add a probe during the cook, will that also be detected and reflected in your program or do I have to do a restart? I very often start a brisket cook with only the control probe attached, then insert the meat probe when I wrap my brisket.

Ken

I have added probes after the start and they did not show up automatically. I can't recall if I had to refresh or start and stop the logging.

Now I just plug all the probes in that I intend to use at the start and set the probes down near the smoker. I have a shelf with a hole in it on the smoker and it works well as a probe holder. I guess you could also stick them into a potato or something to hold them until you insert the meat.

This works for me as I normally don't know where I want to put the probe until position the meat on the smoker.

Ken, the answer is no to both. There is a way for me to detect changes I think but I have not had time to mess with it.

So for now, you have to be mindful of it and hit F-5/Refresh.

Does anyone out there have a excel template that you have used to view the past logs in a graph format?

Do you mean the text file or what is used in the graph? For the latter, the data is not saved in a way to make it possible although it is rather easy to add. I asked earlier if anyone needed it and no one said anything
icon_smile.gif

On the former, I am not home but the format is pretty easy as it is comma seperated. I thought I put documentation on it in the help file. Let me know if you have trouble figuring it out and I will spell out all the steps when I get a chance.

I created a graph from two cooks with the text file. I am going to toy with a template.

I'm curious, how does your chart/graph differ from what's available in Stokerlog? Are you extracting the data from Stoker or through Stokerlog. Just curious.

Larry, Stokerlog records every temp in a text file also which you can open in Excel and do additional data analysis. The file name is stokerlog.txt (what else!). Here is a sample of what is stored in there:

Note, 6/20/2007 10:24:23 PM, Connecting to Stoker...
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:25:41 PM,275,310,86.3,68.7,162
Note, 6/20/2007 10:26:11 PM, Food Ready
6/20/2007 10:26:11 PM
Note, 6/20/2007 10:26:21 PM, Entering Keep Warm mode...
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:26:41 PM,304,200,86.3,68.7,225
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:27:41 PM,308,200,86.3,68.7,257
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:28:41 PM,308,200,86.3,68.7,276
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:29:41 PM,307,200,86.3,68.7,288
Note, 6/20/2007 10:31:39 PM, Food Ready
6/20/2007 10:31:39 PM
Note, 6/20/2007 10:31:39 PM, Probe Alarm Sensor 3
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:32:23 PM,286,310,86.3,68.7,180
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:33:23 PM,306,310,86.3,68.7,237
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:34:23 PM,307,310,86.3,68.7,267
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:35:23 PM,307,310,86.3,68.7,280
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:36:23 PM,308,310,86.3,68.7,287
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:37:30 PM,307,310,86.3,68.7,289
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:38:31 PM,308,310,86.3,68.7,294
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:39:31 PM,308,310,86.3,68.7,297
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:40:31 PM,308,310,86.3,68.7,300
Temps, 6/20/2007 10:41:31 PM,308,310,86.3,68.7,302

The file name is stokerlog.txt

Interesting, so here's my answer to calculating an average temp for my cooks, right? I assume I'll need to change the name of the file after each cook so their not "overlaid" correct?

Yes, you can indeed get the average that way. And you need to rename it everytime or it will keep appending.

Here is a sample graphing of a cook I did on Saturday with a butt on the Bandera. I gave up on creating a template as I either just can't figure out how to do it knowing that the probes, meats, duration of cook, etc. can change too much from one StokerLog.txt file to another. Not to mention if I forget to make a copy and I have to pull out the section that is for the cook I want to chart (as here). The log file contains the graph as well as the original StokerLog.txt file renamed as a csv file so that it opens easily into Excel (it has two cooks in it).

I had to go back and delete the note lines as they show up as dips in the graph at various points (all lines will zero out).

It is easy enough to do the chart with each cook now so I will abandon the template. That said, it would be nice to figure out a way for the graph to pick up the notes and show them automatically so I did not have to manually remove those lines.

One tip, the date axis I had to graph as text and not as a date/time. For some reasons all attempts to do this as a date time resulted in only getting one day entry on the graph (except when the cook ran over night at which point I got two day entries on the graph).

Hope this helps.

Logs.zip

Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
I was having some trouble with my wireless set up (kept losing contact with the Stoker). So, I ran an Ethernet cable from my router directly to my barbecue location. I hooked my laptop to the connection and it seems to be working well, so I'm going to test my Stoker, StokerLog and Traeger Controller with the new line this Saturday. Of course I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Bill

Well, StokerLog worked flawlessly for a 12 hour cook.

It emailed an update every 10 minutes (and a graph every hour) for the entire cook. I'm much happier with the hard wired ethernet cable than I was with the wireless set up.

Bill

I haven't been able to get email work in v. 5. I'm with ATT and my email ext. is @sbcglobal.net. I've set mail up exactly the way I have it setup in Outlook (including port). Any ideas? I've used Stoker Timer's email feature without any issues using the same settings as I have loaded in Stokerlog. Very strange . . .

Originally posted by LarryR:
I haven't been able to get email work in v. 5. I'm with ATT and my email ext. is @sbcglobal.net. I've set mail up exactly the way I have it setup in Outlook (including port). Any ideas? I've used Stoker Timer's email feature without any issues using the same settings as I have loaded in Stokerlog. Very strange . . .

More than likely you've got an internet security issue. Disable the security system and find out if it'll send it ok. If that works, you'll have to tell your system that it's ok to allow Stokerlog to access the internet.

Ken, so you are you saying I need to add Stokerlog to my "allow/exceptions" list?

UPDATE: I just checked my firewall (I use Windows Firewall) and could not find Stokerlog to add it to my "exceptions" list. What's strange though is Stoker Timer isn't in my exceptions list either but it can send email just fine. Strange.

Originally posted by LarryR:
Ken, so you are you saying I need to add Stokerlog to my "allow/exceptions" list?

UPDATE: I just checked my firewall (I use Windows Firewall) and could not find Stokerlog to add it to my "exceptions" list. What's strange though is Stoker Timer isn't in my exceptions list either but it can send email just fine. Strange.

Not windows firewall, it doesn't have a problem with it. Norton and Mcaffee, Trend Micro's PCCillan, and other Internet Security software will block it unless you add it to your approved application list. Most of the time, they will notify you first, but sometimes they just block. They might have a report section to tell you of blocked activity.

I do not any "Internet Security" per se on this machine. Here's what I run:
AVG Anti-virus
Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition (run in manual mode)
Windows Firewall

Hope to get this fixed by this weekend, I'm doing a couple butts and ribs for the neighborhood kids. Of course I can always run Stoker Timer at the same time as Stokerlog I suppose.

Back