StokerLog Version 5 Preview

Well, it looks like if I use the Web interface to make any updates and then refresh StokerLog, all seems to work well this way. But I can't make any updates via StokerLog. Not a problem now that I know the work-around.

You mean it never works to update via stokerlog? If so, can you describe in more detail what happens?

oops. Just saw your previous post
icon_smile.gif

I think I know what is wrong but can't figure out why no one else is hitting it. To be sure, I need a copy of the html. You can email it to my gmail account mentioned earlier. Or post a version here.

And just confirming, it happens when you change a meet probe but works for fire pit probe. Correct?

Thanks.

Amir, that is correct. As soon as I try to update a target temp on a meat probe, and then click "Update Stoker", I get that pop-up message. I click Continue and then I can go to the Web browser and make any adjustments. Then I just have to have StokerLog refresh to read the web interface.

Originally posted by Amir:
oops. Just saw your previous post
icon_smile.gif

I think I know what is wrong but can't figure out why no one else is hitting it. To be sure, I need a copy of the html. You can email it to my gmail account mentioned earlier. Or post a version here.

And just confirming, it happens when you change a meet probe but works for fire pit probe. Correct?

Thanks.

Amir, maybe I'm not doing a complete enough test. Because I just have 1 meat probe connected, no pit probe and no fan -- just letting StokerLog monitor the temp of the 1 meat probe while it's sitting here on the coffee table.

Bob, you are right, it's letting me update the Stoker now via the StokerLog with 1 pit, 1 meat and 1 fan connected to the Stoker.

Amir, I'll be doing a cook this weekend (nothing major) and I'll put it through an actual test for the StokerLog then. I'll report back afterwards.

There was a problem early on when Amir first implemented the multiple probe / blower code, where I was having a similar problem.

For me it was not having a food probe connected that caused there error.

Ah, that explains it
icon_smile.gif
. I should not have crashes that way so I like to fix it. I am not home however but did make a couple of blind fixes which may or may not deal with it. Can you try it without the pit probe and such and see what happens?

Here is the new download: http://la.gg/upl/Stokerlog5Test2.msi

Amir,
It looks like I can reproduce the same error when no fan is plugged it. Once I plug in the fan, all is fine. (This is not using the "Stokerlog5Test2.msi" you just posted)

First time trying photobucket, so I think this should be the screen shot.
Image2.jpg

With the Fan plugged it, no problem updating:
Image3.jpg

Even without the blower associated with the pit probe, it updates without error. Here is a pic of that:
Image4.jpg

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more details.

Originally posted by brian lanius:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
Can you expand on this a bit? You mean you change the target, but when you hit Update Stoker, it goes back to the old value?

Exactly, change target, click update stoker, stoker log appeared to refresh, but it remained with the original target value.

I did not check my Stoker to see if it took the update.

I updated via Stoker Log a second time and it corrected itself.

I wish I could give you more details, I was busy doing other things while cooking this afternoon, so I didn't give it my full attention or investigate the conditions that caused it any further. I'm pretty sure it happened twice as bumped the temp up to get things done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cooking again today. Same version of stoker log. I'm nolt having this problem. I changed the temp a few times and it is fine. Whatever I thought it was doing last time, it is not now.

I ran StokerLogTest5 yesterday for a cook. I got the status line error several times, but it never interrupted the cook. I could change target temp on any meat probe (3) or the pit probe and it would update the Stoker (this actually cleared out the status line also, so that was good).

Amir, I had 3 meat probes connected, during the cook, I removed 2. The 3rd one then changed color on the graph -- is there a way to have it maintain its setting?

Steve, I could try to add logic to that but at this point, I hope to get this version frozen so that everyone could use the program. Also, dynamic updates are not frequent use cases so I like to do those once we have run out of mainstream features to do
icon_smile.gif

Did an overnight cook, and no error messages. However it did lose the connection in the morning but a quick Shift Start got it reconnected.

Originally posted by Amir:
Steve, I could try to add logic to that but at this point, I hope to get this version frozen so that everyone could use the program. Also, dynamic updates are not frequent use cases so I like to do those once we have run out of mainstream features to do
icon_smile.gif

Amir, I agree, let's lock the current version down soon.

My comment was more directed towards if there is a way currently and I was just not finding it. It is absolutely not that important and can be held for a future revision.

Thank you.

Amir,
I've got a question (and possible sugguestion). Using the Auto Lid Detection works well. My question is: when does it start the timer to revet back to normal mode? It looks like as soon as the open lid is detected, the timer starts. Is this true?
If that is the case, is it possible to change the logic to look for the rise in temp that occurs after the lid is closed? The reason is that sometimes the lid will be open longer than others. If the timer starts as soon as the lid is opened (instead of closed), you can end up closing the lid, and next thing you know, the blower is craking up the heat, and now you have overshoot issues.

I hope that made sense. Somehing to consider if you think it has merit and can be implemented.

Steve

Your assumption is correct Steve. Unfortunately, I don't think the solution works as it is liable to have false positives.

Here is the issue. When you open the top, you may get a flame up even with the blower off. In that case, with your suggestion, stokerlog will instruct the stoker to resume cook and it might turn on the blower making things worse. And of course, the lid is still open so the stoker should not be in control yet.

My thinking is that more sophisticated logic is needed but I have not thought about it deeply. Namely, one would need to "integrate" (average) the data over a longer period to determine what state the stoker is in.

If anyone has suggestions along these lines, let me know. I can also implement the scheme suggested as an optional mode to see if it works in real life or not. One thing I would need to have is the metrics for it. That is, what is considered a proper rise in temp. Maybe someone can take notes or look at past cook graphs and determine what temp rise is a reliable indicator.

Amir,

I just wanted to say THANKS for adding the custom HTTP port capability. I did my first remote cook and it worked fine. I used HTTP only mode since I already had another instance of Stoker running back home.

The only suggestion I have is that the size of the address field be increased such that there is enough room for a full IP address with space for the port, i.e., nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn:nnnnn

Regards,

Jack

Is the final version ready for download ? If so do I just go to the last link posted to get it, or will there be a new link posted. Thanks again, I can't wait to give it a try.

Back