Stokerlog 7.0 Release

Is the Madrona Digital your business Amir? I see that you do some home automation with a lot of the major players. Have you thought about integrating Stokerlog into any of these systems or in some other form of driver/control integration?

I have Control4 at home and would love to see a tie-in between the two.
Yes, I am the founder of Madrona Digital. And yes again to building some integration there. I was at one point motivated to get my Crestron control system to perform the functions of stoker. Wasn't motivated to build the blower, and temp sensors though.

Maybe you are asking about integration from stokerlog to automation. Stokerlog currently can trigger a URL when an alarm event occurs. That can be used to have the control system act on it. Do you have some specific scenarios in mind of what you like to happen between these two systems? I guess I could turn off the house lights if the fire goes out. :D

Maybe trigger a light to come on in the bedroom, would be useful in doing an overnight cook. Or sending some kind of audible signal over a zone of speakers....dunno, didn't really think it all the way through. Just thought it could be fun to play with.

I installed and setup my Control4 system on my own...decided it wasn't worth the time investment for me to learn Crestron programming since A/V is more of a hobby. Thought right now I am overseeing $5 million in A/V installations...guess it is becoming more of my job after all :) I love the stuff, as I'm sure you do.

Hello Amir: First, Thanks for all our work on this application. You saved me a ton of hovering outside in the cold rain and let me get back to sleep at 5am after getting the Egg setup with the Christmas ham for today. I am warm inside watching my laptop and monitoring the cook. Two thoughts come to mind as I use this for the first time today (using RC3 by the way).

1) Is it possible to put in some sort of manual fan off setting. The hang auto-lid detect hasn't worked too well and this might be the answer to keep the fire from jumping 15 to 20 degrees high depending on how long the lid is open.

2) How bout some sort of sloping function on the graph. I am frequently anally trying to time the cook to have the meat resting when my guests arrive (or sometimes just ready to come off and rest while we mingle and have cocktails). A sloping function in the actual application might make it easier to tell when you've hit a plateau and bump up your temps or ramp them down a little. A simple slope function between two points might be fun to see and help a little for us anal guys

Thanks again.......

Briefly looked thru the thread regarding windows 8. Has anyone had stokerlog running properly on windows 8 yet?

Just got a Sony Vaio Tap 20. It is freaky using the tap in your lap then going back to my ipad.

Last edited:
There is no harm in trying. Please report back what fails. I don' have Windows 8 so have not had a chance to test it myself.

FYI ...
Downloaded V6.9RC onto a new Sony Tap running Windows 8.
Ran stoker/stokerlog inside the house for about 5 hours. Although I did not try any of the triggers all ran fine.
Will try to run it through more options this weekend.

Could not get the computer to connect to router and aircard at the same time but that's a separate problem.

This may not be the place for this post....but....I love the product and use it all the time. However, I can't get the email portion to work no matter what I do and there isn't any instructions to it. Can you help me out some?

Thanks,

I am glad you are enjoying the program. I have been remiss in updating the instructions as the versions have piled up :).

Here are the instructions:

1. User Name. This is your actual email alias on wherever you have an email account. If it is "foo@gmail.com" you would type just "foo."

2. Password. This is your password for your account. Note that this password is stored in the clear in the system. So you may not want to use your normal email account. You could create a special email account just for sending emails from stokerlog.

3. Send To. This is the key field. It says who you want to send email to. The way this is set up is that we need some email server to send the email. The fields in #1 and #2 let you utilize your own email account as the sender. The Send To should be the inbox where you want to receive the emails. So if your name is your alias on gmail, you would type "edde@gmail.com".

4. Host name. This is the name of your email server. Example is given for gmail: smtp.gmail.com. For other email servers, you should find out how the host name to *send* email. I suggest creating the temporary email account on gmail and then you can use this field and the one after this as is.

5. Port: This is the port number for the email server. Again, your email provider has to give you this. For gmail it already has the default 587.

6. Secure Login: This is a check box. Most modern email servers are secure and require this check box to be set.

7. From: this field should not be necessary but I think some email servers think it is spam if it is not there. I have put the default of stokerlog@gmail.com. You may want to set it to your login name in #1.

Once you have set all of this, push the Send Test Message. It should arrive right away with no errors (make sure to sync your email account). Often the messages go into spam folders. Or start working but then go into spam. Be sure to mark them as "safe."

Email frequency is what it says. If you set it 5 minutes, you get an email every five minutes.

Graph Frequency: I forget the exact meaning of this :). But it basically sets how often the graphs are sent versus regular temp emails.

Hope this helps. I just tested all of the above and it worked for me.

@Casten did you have any trouble with the StokerLog app going to Not Responding on Windows 8.
I tried installing it on my Windows 8 x64 Dell XPS Ultrabook and the install went fine. I ran it as administrator, connected to the stoker just fine and it opened 2 windows, one for each blower/pit.

After about 5 minutes of graphing it went to not responding and never recovered. It did this numerous times.

Trying on my Surface Pro now.

Bleeding edge isn't always the best...

So reading through the thread it seems I'm not the only one having this issue and it seems to be strictly related to wireless. I wonder if it is because the Stoker is wireless or the machine running Stokerlog is wireless?...hmmm.

I only have one machine that isn't wireless. I'll try to install it on that. Time to put Windows back on my old laptop so I can connect it wirelessly at comps.

It ran fine for my first cook but have been getting the "Not Responding" error the last couple uses.
I tried to follow the problem last week and can't seem to pin down a pattern. Sometimes it runs for 3 hr ... sometimes 1 hour.
????????????????

stoker error

stoker gives me the following error when I try and start it. These are the details. If I continue, it brings up the graph but doesn't connect. any suggestions? Previous version won't even start.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).
at StokerLog.StokerLog.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
StokerLog
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/StokerLog/StokerLog.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 11.0.50709.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
ZedGraph
Assembly Version: 5.0.7.40149
Win32 Version: 5.0.7.40149
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/StokerLog/ZedGraph.DLL
Interop.WMPLib
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/StokerLog/Interop.WMPLib.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Hi everyone. I have been working on the 7.0 release of Stokerlog. The background for the changes starts in the middle of this page: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...103/m/784107513/p/26

Some of the features include:

1. The fix for admin requirement on Windows 7. You no longer have to do that.

2. Ability to recall previous cooks. Should you quite manually or the program existing, rebooting, etc., you can recall the previous cook and continue as if that had not happened. This is under File->Restore Previous Cook.

3. Twitter is functional again. You have to get a PIN number that the program requires (it will walk you through it).

4. Some bug fixes.

5. Ability to use food probes as fire probes for Alarm purposes.

6. Ramped temps. You can now configure stoker to trigger temp changes based on what the conditions of other probes.

Here is the install setup: http://www.madronadigital.com/Downloads/Stokerlog69RC3.exe

You will need to uninstall the old version manually. I think this version is stable enough to use it as your standard version. If something goes wrong, you can always install the old version.

It would be great to get some mileage quickly on this as I like to go ahead and release it.

Thanks in advance.

stoker gives me the following error when I try and start it. These are the details. If I continue, it brings up the graph but doesn't connect. any suggestions? Previous version won't even start.
That is a pretty fundamental error where the program can't even start. I would re-install but likely it is a Windows problem.

When using stokerlog on a windows 7 machine last night/this morning, stokerlog kept going to "not responding" and never recovering. Sometimes it would work for a couple hours, sometimes just for 20-30 minutes.

Twitter has stopped working for me. Has anyone else seen this? SL is happy with the authentication to twitter. Test twits and cooking updates do not make it through. My whithings scale still tweets ok on the same account.

Newbie question...

Hi Folks, I am new to Stoker/StokerLog and was told this is the place to get answers to questions. I have downloaded and installed the latest version from the sticky on this thread (V6.9RC3). I am using my Stoker to monitor temps on a Yoder pellet grill (no blower or fire control). I want to control the low Pit temperature, especially on long (i.e. over night) cooks so it will alarm if I have a flame out or for some other reason the pit drops below a set temp. I can't figure out how, can some one explain the Stoker/Stokerlog configuration that will do that?

As you can see by the capture below, I do not have a "Low" nor " High" text box on the StokerLog interface to enter such settings. What am I missing, please?

a4lx.png

Thanks
Gary

Hi Gary. Stoker can only set low and high limits for the fire/control probe. For food alarms, there is only a high limit which is what you see in stokerlog under "target." In your sample display, alarms will trigger if you hit 225. I guess since alarms are managed inside stokerlog now, I could add both in the future.

I guess since alarms are managed inside stokerlog now, I could add both in the future.

Amir, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I was having trouble getting logged in. From my perspective it would be very helpful if you could add that feature.

In the meantime, is there a way my Stoker (without the blower) could be configured to spoof it, and your software, into thinking it has a fire control probe so I could use your software to monitor the Low temp? I mean, without harming anything of course.

Thanks
Gary

Back