Stokerlog 7.0 Release

I have still been struggling with crashes, and have found a fix that works for me. It still crashes/freezes every few hours, but I am using a program called Restart On Crash to recognize this condition and restart StokerLog. It's very easy to use. When StokerLog is restarted I use a second program called Key Text to recognize that StokerLog has been executed, and it runs a macro to restore the cook.

So how does it fail again? Does it just hang? If so, what is the last thing it said? What does the Status area show?

Yep, It just hangs every few hours. The status field is blank when it happens. Plotting on the graph ceases and the program becomes unresponsive. It is sometimes hours before I realize this has occurred. I noticed that my wifi connection went out for minute when it happened one time. I don't know if that happens every time though. I can't think of any more clues! I would be happy to run it for a while and watch for anything specific or try to narrow it down for you.

Thanks. Run it in simulation mode overnight without connecting to stoker. Let it run overnight. This would verify that everything other than network is operational.

Do you have another computer you can test it on? At least temporarily? My suspicion is a systems problem. The simulation mode tests just about every feature. The only difference is networking. If anything hangs there, Stokerlog as retry mechanism that shows up in status line. If that is not triggered, it means something has caused it to hang. Hence my suspicion of system problem.

I'll have to find one the next time I do a cook. I bet you are right, It's my system. Anything I might want to change? Other than a system restore?

It is a very hard problem to troubleshoot. But yes, a restore to a fresh install will remedy it.

BTW, you don't need to be cooking anything. Just connect to the stoker and let it run overnight.

Hi Amir,
I to have run the RC3 and had it lock up mutile times. I just finished up multiple cooks over the holiday. When I went back to a patch cord and not wireless it was flawless. So I believe my issues are with my drop connections on wireless. I will look into changing to a different WAP and mounting location.

Amir thanks for the all the hard work you do. I sleep great while while the briskets and shoulders cook to greatness.
HVB

Thanks for the feedback HVB. You got me concerned at first :).

Yes, Stokerlog hangs if the connection drops. It will retry forever to connect to stoker. This was put in so that you can turn off the stoker when mending the smoker and then turning it back on and having stoker reconnect. And also to recover from temporary network drops.

I also got fed up with my wireless access point and ran an Ethernet connection to the garage.

One note about wireless. The radio frequencies are "polarized" to be horizontal or vertical. As such, it is critical that you keep the orientation the same as your access point antennas. Don't mount the wireless adapter at 90 degrees at the stoker for example. Since in this application the signal has to go through exterior walls, it is important to maximize signal power. Here is an article I wrote on this topic: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8408-Turn-Your-Head-Not-your-Tablet!-Wifi-Polarization

Amir,
I was having Stoker Log 6.9RC3 hang up. It kept saying it could not access a file. I think it was the "stokerlog.txt" file. After reading through this thread a saw where someone disabled their antivirus and it started to work fine after. Well I left my antivirus running BUT I suspended my hard drive backup program, Memo and after I did this Stoker Log has been running flawlessly.

This is a great little program. Thanks for your hard work and time!

Tom

P.S. btw, I am running windows 7 on a laptop with a wireless connection. If I find any other issues I will be sure to post them.

Last edited:
Amir, I dont know whats involved in doing this, but do you know whats involved in exporting your software into a Python programming package? I have a Synology Diskstation at home that has started running some of my previous desktop applications (mostly Usenet/Newsgroup stuff), but being able to run your software from my Synology unit would be amazing. Let me know if you know anything about doing this. I found this link on their website:

http://www.synology.com/us/apps/3rd-party_application_integration.php

Darn....I looked to see if people were installing Wine on any Synology units and could find nothing. Thanks for the quick response though Amir!

Is the Madrona Digital your business Amir? I see that you do some home automation with a lot of the major players. Have you thought about integrating Stokerlog into any of these systems or in some other form of driver/control integration?

I have Control4 at home and would love to see a tie-in between the two.

Back