STL Spare Ribs No Foil?

Jordon

TVWBB Member
I've had some good rib turnouts using foil, but I'm looking to go without foil this weekend.

How long should I smoke them at 250 without foil?

Each slab is around 5 pounds.

I'd go 5 hrs and ck for doneness (tooth pick and or crack test). If not done ck in 30 min. Repeat as required. HTH

Until they are done :wsm:
Should take around 5 hours but there are several factors that will affect the time. I would also spray with apple juice every 30 minutes or so after the first couple hours.

I do like Greg is saying and apply a spritz of apple juice and apple cider vinegar after the bark has set well, about two hours or so. After that it is as simple as a toothpick between the ribs to the desired tenderness you like.

Do you guys see a big difference if you don't spritz?

I like to set it and forget it until I check for doneness.

Most folks say to spritz but I normally don't spritz. I don't have a reason other than I just don't want to open the pit.

I do mine @ 275+ and honestly I don't recall the times, maybe 4 hrs till tender I dunno?
I spritz with FAJC cut with some Bourbon. I do it ever so often after the color looks good, it adds a deeper layer of color and taste IMO.:wsm:

Tim

Last edited:
Jordan the only reason i do spritz my ribs is to control the bark, once the bark gets the color i like i start spritzing usually after the 2-2.5 hr mark for BB and 3-3.5 hr mark for spares, good luck. Spritzing adds no extra flavor to the ribs imo. I use 50/50 vegetable oil and apple juice for the spritz. Make sure you shake the bottle before each spritz.

I have gotten to where I just cook my on my kettle at about 375-400 for 1.5 hours with indirect heat. No foil. They are pretty darn good and very easy.

For me spraying ribs only slows down the cook by 1. Losing heat by opening the lid and 2. Adding water to the outside of the ribs which must then be heated and cooked off. It does not add any substantial flavor for me. It can help control the bark since the moisture being sprayed must be cooked off instead of the surface of the meat.

I usually start checking at 4.5 hrs at 275 if I do not foil.

Back