Still No Tri-Tip <sigh>

D Larsen

TVWBB Super Fan
Here in MD, I've not been able to find any place that sells tri tip. Looking at the pix and posts you guys keep posting about this cut of meat is driving me nuts !

I've tried the local Klein's Markets, the Giants, the BJ's, and the Safeway....no luck. When asked about at the meat counter, I just get blank stares...

I was optimistic 'cause we had a new market open nearby today...a Redner's...it's a small chain based in PA, and I THINK Bryan S has been able to find tri tips in Lancaster, PA (not too far north of me), so I thought they may carry 'em....nope !!!

I've printed out the PDF description of a tri tip, so I'll try that next with the meat guys in the local stores. In the meantime, I guess the wife and I will trek down to the Trader Joe's in Towson and see if we have any luck there...

All I can say is....this cut better be good !
icon_smile.gif

Dean...

This is so odd, I don't understand why they would be so plentiful out here but so scarce back east. Not to rub it in but I had a great one last night. Don't worry, when you get one you'll understand what all the fuss is about, it's a very flavorful cut of meat.

I was in northern Virginia this past week, and decided to see what Trader Joe's had inside. They did have both marinated and non-marinated. They were in small cryovac packs in the meat case. Give them a shot.

Now, with that said, I think you'll be quite pleased with the cut. I recently got my hands on 12 pounds of USDA prime, and they were wonderful. Now, I have freezer stocked with USDA choice tri-tips. My family is quite pleased with the flavor and tenderness of the cut.

Good luck finding it.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
This is so odd, I don't understand why they would be so plentiful out here but so scarce back east. Not to rub it in but I had a great one last night. Don't worry, when you get one you'll understand what all the fuss is about, it's a very flavorful cut of meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry,

Ya, just go ahead and rub it in, ya b*@%!*d
icon_smile.gif
....from what I'm reading, the tri tip is a "west coast" thing, so the few that are around here are shipped out your way so you guys can grill 'em !!! No "demand" here, but I'm looking to change that....You'll be sorry when this cut catches on back East and you guys have to go searching for 'em like I do
icon_smile.gif
!

Just pulling your chain, Larry.....I enjoy your posts !

Dean....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Angiel:
I was in northern Virginia this past week, and decided to see what Trader Joe's had inside. They did have both marinated and non-marinated. They were in small cryovac packs in the meat case. Give them a shot.

Now, with that said, I think you'll be quite pleased with the cut. I recently got my hands on 12 pounds of USDA prime, and they were wonderful. Now, I have freezer stocked with USDA choice tri-tips. My family is quite pleased with the flavor and tenderness of the cut.

Good luck finding it.

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Rick.....NOVA is a little too far to travel for ANY cut of meat !

I hope the TJ's, as mentioned by others, will give me a sample of what I'm missing...

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Towson has them as does Wilmington, so whichever's closer... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Kevin....

It's probably a 50-50 split for me...I'll scope out the TJ web site and see what's closer....the only other factor is the State sales tax....many of us in Northern MD "shop" for big ticket items in DE (no State tax), but I suspect, for a small amount of "food", the gas costs will outweigh the sales tax !

Besides....the wife has been to the TJ's in Towson, but I haven't....not that she's great on directions (
icon_smile.gif
but at least she has a rough idea of where we're going !

Have a safe trip to MD !!!

Dean...

Yep, those your from outspace stares from butchers, know them well.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Yes to TJ's and Costco. TJ's for me is 1 hr 20 min away, and gas prices... Costco here slices them and sells them like that. You just need to ask one of the Butchers for the Tri-Tip whole in cryo vac. A little pricey buying the whole pac, but that's the only way they will sell them whole here in Lanc. I don't have a Costco membership, I just borrow a friends card to go there. HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Yep, those your from outspace stares from butchers, know them well.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Yes to TJ's and Costco. TJ's for me is 1 hr 20 min away, and gas prices... Costco here slices them and sells them like that. You just need to ask one of the Butchers for the Tri-Tip whole in cryo vac. A little pricey buying the whole pac, but that's the only way they will sell them whole here in Lanc. I don't have a Costco membership, I just borrow a friends card to go there. HTH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Bryan ! I was hoping you'd weigh in here and tell me where I'm going wrong....

Sounds like the TJ in Towson is my next stop !!!!

Dean...

I share your pain. The only way I have found Tri Tip close to me is by going to a local independent meat market and talking to the butcher there. He does not carry them but said he would cut me one of of a whole sirloin anytime he was on site. I have done it a couple of times. However it is much more expensive this way than buying them out west where they are plentiful. It became a "quest" for me and I was going to find one if it did cost a little more.

Ken-- Trader Joe's in Norcross should have them. I don't know how their prices will compare to your butcher but you could call and check. They carry many other items worth getting, imo, so you need not make the trip for tri-tips alone.

Tri-Tip is a great cut, but don't go insane trying to find it, and definately don't overspend. It was way cheaper and way more available in California than it is here in Denver. When I ask for it, they usually ask me if I'm from California.

My Sam's Club has it, but its almost twice the price as it was even at a regular store in Cali. I have actually switched over to chuck for my kabobs.

I'm off to Costco here in a bit to pick up some stuff, and I think I'll pick a few up, and post the prices. I don't get whatever reason there is for them not being sold back east. Does the meat sellers use it in a different cut? Maybe cows east of the Rockies are missing this important tissue? ( joke )
icon_razz.gif

I had one last week that was good, but overcooked. I figured after the first turn, I would have about 25 minutes or so for it to hit 130-135. When I checked at that time, it had already hit 145, and carried over to 160. No pink at all.
icon_frown.gif

It is a delicious beefy flavored cut of meat though. Hard to match in my opinion, price per pound.

The vast majority of retailers buy sub-primal--and sub-sub-primal--cuts, meaning they do not buy sides of beef and cut it themselves. Whole sirloins are rarely shipped intact--just like other whole sections like rounds and chucks aren't. Tri-tips are removed at the packinghouses and shipped west where they are known.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken McCrary:
I share your pain. The only way I have found Tri Tip close to me is by going to a local independent meat market and talking to the butcher there. He does not carry them but said he would cut me one of of a whole sirloin anytime he was on site. I have done it a couple of times. However it is much more expensive this way than buying them out west where they are plentiful. It became a "quest" for me and I was going to find one if it did cost a little more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken,

I guess it's a "quest" for me, too....the pix and descriptions I see here look great !

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason M. Park:
Tri-Tip is a great cut, but don't go insane trying to find it, and definately don't overspend. It was way cheaper and way more available in California than it is here in Denver. When I ask for it, they usually ask me if I'm from California.

My Sam's Club has it, but its almost twice the price as it was even at a regular store in Cali. I have actually switched over to chuck for my kabobs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jason,

Thanks for the "reality check"
icon_smile.gif

We'll check out the TJ's and see what they are selling it for.....heck, it's only meat, right ????

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
I'm off to Costco here in a bit to pick up some stuff, and I think I'll pick a few up, and post the prices. I don't get whatever reason there is for them not being sold back east. Does the meat sellers use it in a different cut? Maybe cows east of the Rockies are missing this important tissue? ( joke )
icon_razz.gif

I had one last week that was good, but overcooked. I figured after the first turn, I would have about 25 minutes or so for it to hit 130-135. When I checked at that time, it had already hit 145, and carried over to 160. No pink at all.
icon_frown.gif

It is a delicious beefy flavored cut of meat though. Hard to match in my opinion, price per pound. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your input, Tom ! We don't have a Costco nearby (at least, I don't think so...), so I'm counting on scoring one at the Trader Joe's.....anybody have some input on the "marinated" vs. the non-"marinated" ??? What does TJ "marinate" the tri-tip with ????

Dean...

Last summer I tried one of the marinated tri's from Trader Joes. It was horrid and priced about what a sirloin strip roast costs around here. I haven't tried a nonmarinated tri from TJ's. Tri's have popped up at one particular market near me a few times over the past 4 months.

Being from CA it is easy to find Tri-Tip, which is nice. It's usually the go to cut for a backyard cook out as far as beef goes. Good flavor, easy to cook, feeds a lot.

Unfortunately, the art of butchering is becoming a lost art. At least in my area, there are only three independent butchers in my immediate area. Chain stores and even "gourmet" grocery stores quite frequently carry pre-marinated cuts and are usually terrible. As with anything its better to make it yourself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Last summer I tried one of the marinated tri's from Trader Joes. It was horrid and priced about what a sirloin strip roast costs around here. I haven't tried a nonmarinated tri from TJ's. Tri's have popped up at one particular market near me a few times over the past 4 months. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

You've confirmed what I thought....I'll stay away from the marinated one unless someone posts and says they're awesome !

Dean...

Back