Still No Tri-Tip <sigh>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Derum:
Being from CA it is easy to find Tri-Tip, which is nice. It's usually the go to cut for a backyard cook out as far as beef goes. Good flavor, easy to cook, feeds a lot.

Unfortunately, the art of butchering is becoming a lost art. At least in my area, there are only three independent butchers in my immediate area. Chain stores and even "gourmet" grocery stores quite frequently carry pre-marinated cuts and are usually terrible. As with anything its better to make it yourself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,

I hear you ! In the County I live in, we had 2 butcher shops, total....one close to me closed down 'cause the Health Dept. wanted them to install all kinds of upgrades, etc. It WAS a great little shop where you could get great steaks, home-made sausage, etc... I never got sick on anything I bought from them !

The other one seems to focus their business on dressing deer during hunting season
icon_frown.gif
That leaves me with the chain store meat counters....

If I get addicted to tri tip, I'll either have to rely on TJ, or maybe go into Baltimore City and find a REAL butcher !

Dean....

So here at my Costco, they had the premarinaded ones, and Choice whole tri-tip at $5.99 lb. The unmarinaded ones come in packs of two, so I picked up the most marbled one I could find.

I have had most of the marinaded ones, and they usually aren't that good. In my opinion, most of the good beef flavor is lost when they are cryovaced with marinade inside.

I've tried one that was real popular a few years back they called bloody mary marinade. It was ok, and didn't really stand out much compared to the rest of them.

Also, our Costco doesn't sell who packer briskets, they do have pretrimmed flats, at a ridiculous $3.89 lb. But I still bought one, cause they are the only place close by where I can get a flat of decent size.

Somehow a case of Sam Adams Summer Collection found its way into my cart as well.

Most 'real butchers' in the East will still not know what tri-tip is as most have never been exposed (nor required) to cut a side from scratch. It has been probably 20 years since swinging beef was shipped in any quantity. It happens, still, but it is quite rare.

I'm with you, Tom, on the pre-marinated. As much as I like TJ's, I have never liked their pre-marinated anything. The Cryo--and the time involved--kills it.

give these guys a try. every now and then, i drive up from northern VA to stock up. they usually have frozen tri-tips. if you call ahead 3 or 4 days, you can get them fresh. IMHO, even their frozen tri-tips blow TJ's tri-tips out of the water. the rest of their beef is pretty good too. also, i'd steer clear of TJ's marinated stuff - it's too salty.
http://www.jwtreuth.com/retail.html

I called Whole Foods today and they had Tri-tip. Theirs was all trimmed up, but I talked to the butcher and told him I wanted it untrimmed for the smoker and he hooked me up.

I'll be making it for the first time on Saturday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary C:
I called Whole Foods today and they had Tri-tip. Theirs was all trimmed up, but I talked to the butcher and told him I wanted it untrimmed for the smoker and he hooked me up.

I'll be making it for the first time on Saturday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats on your find Gary. Here in California it is so easy to find I end up cooking it all the time. Be sure to tell us what you think of it after your cook Saturday.

Pretty soon there will be a dedicated spot in the forums here, just for Tri-Tip. Its being discussed all over the place. I plan on firing up a small one tonight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i'd steer clear of TJ's marinated stuff - it's too salty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I steer clear of anyone's marinated stuff. Sometimes it's the salt, often it's the 'flavorings'.

Speaking of "flavorings," at least TJ's has finally stopped using nitrates (sp?) in their tri-s. I've had to throw away a few because, even after cooking, the sulfur smell/taste ruined the meat.

For the guys back East I have to say that I'm sorry that you aren't able to get some Tris. If it makes you feel better the price on Tris are going up faster than the gas prices
icon_frown.gif

Growing up in Santa Maria, CA, the capital of tri tip, I took the stuff for granted. Everyone had a Santa Maria style grill- able to rotate the grate up and down- pretty handy for achieving the perfect sear. And every fundraising bbq in town included an iceberg salad drenched in ranch, pinto beans, garlic bread, tri tip, and chunky salsa. Always good stuff, but when I was young I just figured that everyone ate like this. When I moved away I developed the notion that it was just a Santa Maria thing, not meant to exist elsewhere. No offense to other California tri tip locales, but when I order tri tip in the Bay Area, it comes with bbq sauce on it. Just not the same. In recent years more national interest in tri tip has been growing, and it's funny to find Santa Maria listed in some articles alongside the giants of Kansas City, Texas, Memphis, and Carolina. Just wish the supply would start catching up with the demand for some of you!
The national emergence of tri tip is also interesting because its not the first time in my family that a staple, taken-for-granted kind of food has blown up across the nation. My family is from Buffalo, and it was soon after my parents and older brothers moved to Santa Maria that wings started to really catch on. I remember watching TV with my dad once, well after the wings movement had taken hold, and a Dominos pizza spot came on hawking their wings, and pops just kind of shook his head in disbelief.
Not that I think the same will ever happen to tri tip. If I ever see a Burger King commercial for a tri tip sandwich, I might break down and cry.

Anyhow, happy 4th. Fireworks have been banned in Watsonville this year due to the fires, so I'll be hanging out on the porch this evening with a glass of bourbon and a long hose.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken_Stevens:
give these guys a try. every now and then, i drive up from northern VA to stock up. they usually have frozen tri-tips. if you call ahead 3 or 4 days, you can get them fresh. IMHO, even their frozen tri-tips blow TJ's tri-tips out of the water. the rest of their beef is pretty good too. also, i'd steer clear of TJ's marinated stuff - it's too salty.
http://www.jwtreuth.com/retail.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken,

Now THAT'S more like it !!
icon_smile.gif
Your link isn't that much farther for me than TJ's, so I'll check 'em out ! Do you get a "finder's fee" or anything ???

Thanks again for the info....

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
icon_smile.gif
Your link isn't that much farther for me than TJ's, so I'll check 'em out !

Dean... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dean, Please do and let me know how they are. I might be up for a road trip. That's not much farther for me than TJ's in King of Prussia/Wayne PA.

Ken, What do they cost per lb.?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mosef:
Growing up in Santa Maria, CA, the capital of tri tip, I took the stuff for granted.

The national emergence of tri tip is also interesting because its not the first time in my family that a staple, taken-for-granted kind of food has blown up across the nation. My family is from Buffalo, and it was soon after my parents and older brothers moved to Santa Maria that wings started to really catch on. I remember watching TV with my dad once, well after the wings movement had taken hold, and a Dominos pizza spot came on hawking their wings, and pops just kind of shook his head in disbelief.

Not that I think the same will ever happen to tri tip. If I ever see a Burger King commercial for a tri tip sandwich, I might break down and cry.

Anyhow, happy 4th. Fireworks have been banned in Watsonville this year due to the fires, so I'll be hanging out on the porch this evening with a glass of bourbon and a long hose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mosef,

Great story ! Reminds me of the "blackened" Cajun food craze that also swept the country years ago !

I was stationed at Edwards AFB for 4 years, way back in the late 70's. One of my memories is looking south across the desert, at night, and just seeing the fires burning in the mountains.....hope you and all in CA escape this latest dry spell.

One of my regrets now is never having tried the tri-tip....the other one was not buying a house when I lived there
icon_frown.gif

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
icon_smile.gif

Dean, Please do and let me know how they are. I might be up for a road trip. That's not much farther for me than TJ's in King of Prussia/Wayne PA.

Ken, What do they cost per lb.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan,

I figure....a guy who will drive to Reading for charcoal would also drive a few miles for a good tri-tip !
icon_biggrin.gif

Tell you what...maybe we could work something out...I'll get your order and make the drive south, then we could link up somewhere close for you and me, like Shrewsbury or somewhere off I-83 ! Wanna work that out ??? Us tri-tip starved Q'ers have to stick together !

By the way....the wife and her friends went to the market in Shrewsbury Wednesday...I asked her to look for "Amish Butter", and dang if she didn't bring back a pound ($3.99) !!! Haven't tried it yet, though....any suggestions, other than as a steak topping ?

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_smile.gif

Ken, What do they cost per lb.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan,

I figure....a guy who will drive to Reading for charcoal would also drive a few miles for a good tri-tip !
icon_biggrin.gif

Tell you what...maybe we could work something out...I'll get your order and make the drive south, then we could link up somewhere close for you and me, like Shrewsbury or somewhere off I-83 ! Wanna work that out ??? Us tri-tip starved Q'ers have to stick together !

By the way....the wife and her friends went to the market in Shrewsbury Wednesday...I asked her to look for "Amish Butter", and dang if she didn't bring back a pound ($3.99) !!! Haven't tried it yet, though....any suggestions, other than as a steak topping ?

Dean, My email is in my profile. Amish butter is awsome. Corn on the cob, English muffins, Grilled cheese sammie with Velveeta of course.
icon_biggrin.gif

Shrewsbury would be cool, just about 1/2 way for both of us.
icon_cool.gif

Have you ever eaten at Lammott's <sp? in New Freedom?

Bryan,

icon_biggrin.gif

Dean, My email is in my profile. Amish butter is awsome. Corn on the cob, English muffins, Grilled cheese sammie with Velveeta of course.
icon_biggrin.gif

Shrewsbury would be cool, just about 1/2 way for both of us.
icon_cool.gif

Have you ever eaten at Lammott's <sp? in New Freedom? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan,

Sounds like "A Plan" ! I won't be able to make the trek until sometime next week, at the earliest, but I'll email you and set it up !

Thanks for the tips on the butter....the wife brought back some corn from the market, too....looked good, but it was pretty nasty....no taste at all. We're picking up some "local" today, to go with the spares I'm doing, so we'll try it on those...

No....never tried Lammott's (nor heard of it !) Is it worth the drive ???

Dean...

No....never tried Lammott's (nor heard of it !) Is it worth the drive ???

Oh my yes! I only ever get one thing there. It's been many years since I went there. I was just talking to a guy at work who was just there and he said it's still excellent. I would always get the Delmonico steak topped with a crab cake and this killer white sauce they put on it, it's the bomb. I new I had it spelled wrong. Lamottes

Back