Still No Tri-Tip <sigh>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Oh my yes! I only ever get one thing there. It's been many years since I went there. I was just talking to a guy at work who was just there and he said it's still excellent. I would always get the Delmonico steak topped with a crab cake and this killer white sauce they put on it, it's the bomb. I new I had it spelled wrong. Lamottes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan,

Sounds like it might be worth a trip ! Seems like pretty reasonable prices, too....

Tried the Amish butter on some local corn....much better ! Also tried it on english muffins....I gotta admit, I'm not sure I see what the fuss is about....maybe it's an "acquired" taste, or maybe I just need to put a gob on top of a steak
icon_smile.gif
Seems kinda bland to me....or "stale"....maybe we got an "old" batch ???

Sent you an email re : Treuth's !

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Oh my yes! I only ever get one thing there. It's been many years since I went there. I was just talking to a guy at work who was just there and he said it's still excellent. I would always get the Delmonico steak topped with a crab cake and this killer white sauce they put on it, it's the bomb. I new I had it spelled wrong. Lamottes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan,

Sounds like it might be worth a trip ! Seems like pretty reasonable prices, too....

Tried the Amish butter on some local corn....much better ! Also tried it on english muffins....I gotta admit, I'm not sure I see what the fuss is about....maybe it's an "acquired" taste, or maybe I just need to put a gob on top of a steak
icon_smile.gif
Seems kinda bland to me....or "stale"....maybe we got an "old" batch ???

Sent you an email re : Treuth's !

Dean... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dean, Lamottes is about 3 miles away from the Shrewsbury exit. That's odd about the Amish butter. The guys at work that I gave it to, not ever having it, said what great taste it had.
icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken_Stevens:
give these guys a try. every now and then, i drive up from northern VA to stock up. they usually have frozen tri-tips. if you call ahead 3 or 4 days, you can get them fresh. IMHO, even their frozen tri-tips blow TJ's tri-tips out of the water. the rest of their beef is pretty good too. also, i'd steer clear of TJ's marinated stuff - it's too salty.
http://www.jwtreuth.com/retail.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken,

Now THAT'S more like it !!
icon_smile.gif
Your link isn't that much farther for me than TJ's, so I'll check 'em out ! Do you get a "finder's fee" or anything ???

Thanks again for the info....

Dean... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken,

SUCCESS !!! Went to Treuth's today and scored 3 frozen tri's @ $5.99/lb !!! That place is awesome....how on earth did you discover it (it's not exactly in an easily findable place !) ??? Thanks much for the link !

When I walked in the door (didn't call ahead), I asked if they had any tri-tips....the friendly woman behind the counter said "You must be from California !"
icon_smile.gif
Fortunately, they had the 3 frozen tri's so I bought them out. She told me to be sure and call ahead, and they'll be sure to have what I wanted ready. She was curious how I found out about them, so I told her it was from your post, and that you drove up from VA for their tri's....she said she has a few customers who used to live in CA, and they come in for tri's all the time (
icon_smile.gif
) She also said she loved that cut...

Since I was in Towson, I also stopped at the TJ's and confirmed that they DO have the Australian cyro tri's....avoided the marinated versions, but picked up 1 of the "plain"

I'm sharing this new "find" with Bryan (he gets 2), so I hope he can offer his comments on the quality of the Treuth's tri's, since I have zero experience ! I AM looking forward to my first tri cook, though !!

Dean...

I've been following this thread for the last week or so and I decided to look around for tri's. No luck at Sam's (they used to sell them but they stopped becasue they werent moving according to the "butcher" there) and a few confused looks from the butchers at local chain markets when I asked for tri tip. I was doing some work in NJ today and drove right by a Trader Joe's. So I made the turn around at the jug handle and stopped in and picked up 2 tri's weighing about 2.5 each. Going to smoke them this Saturday. I'm really looking forward to it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GregS:
and a few confused looks from the butchers at local chain markets when I asked for tri tip. I was doing some work in NJ today and drove right by a Trader Joe's. So I made the turn around at the jug handle and stopped in and picked up 2 tri's weighing about 2.5 each. Going to smoke them this Saturday. I'm really looking forward to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Greg, I know the feeling on the blank stares from people that are supposed to be trained proffesionals. Tri-Tip, what's that
icon_confused.gif

I see your from Philly. I go down to the TJ's in Wayne PA, sit's right off 202 to pick up unmarinated Tris.
icon_wink.gif

Fellow WSM brethren, I was in 7-11 today and bought a tri-tip with my son's Slurpee (sp?) lol. Man, I cannot imagine having to go through what others do to find this awesome piece of meat. I didn't really buy one at 7-11 but that's pretty much the only store you can't buy one at.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Man, I cannot imagine having to go through what others do to find this awesome piece of meat. I didn't really buy one at 7-11 but that's pretty much the only store you can't buy one at. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah and for less than I can buy ground beef for.
icon_frown.gif

LarryR tells no lies...I lived most of my life in California and you can't go anywhere without finding a tri tip lying around...

I haven't seen them here in Iwoa since I moved here. I need to have my Mom send a few out...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah and for less than I can buy ground beef for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan you don't even know, tonight I picked up a Prime Grade Rib Eye for $6.99 lb, grilled that Bit&* up with some killer mushrooms and a baked potato and a six pack of beer while I grilled and bottle of red wine while I ate the steak, killer meal. However, I also paid $4.89 for gas today so maybe what I'm saving on beef I'm paying for in gas
icon_frown.gif

Yeah but, but Larry. I got Amish butter for on top of my steak and you don't.
icon_razz.gif
OK, I'm reaching now but...
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah and for less than I can buy ground beef for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan you don't even know, tonight I picked up a Prime Grade Rib Eye for $6.99 lb, grilled that Bit&* up with some killer mushrooms and a baked potato and a six pack of beer while I grilled and bottle of red wine while I ate the steak, killer meal. However, I also paid $4.89 for gas today so maybe what I'm saving on beef I'm paying for in gas
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry, you may have a point...I filled up at $3.92 the other day
icon_smile.gif

Dean...

Yeah, I tripped over a bunch of Tri- Tip lying in the road today, on the way to the garage. Damn stuff is just lying around everywhere you look around here. They multiply like rabbits.
icon_smile.gif

We really should get our local government involved. Last week, my neice got attacked by a Tri-Tip, damn thing just jumped up and bit her.

icon_smile.gif

For those of you living in or around Northern Virgina, I picked up a tasty 2.3lb choice tri-tip at the Springfield Butcher on Wednesay (summarily grilled that night over a mix of Kingsford and oak chunks). The guy working there told me that they'd be stocking them all summer. Pricey, but I needed my fix. I also noticed they had both large (7lb-ish) brisket flats and packers...

before:
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4911/dsc0168zz9.jpg

after:
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3996/dsc0169lg9.jpg

Dean,

Glad that worked out for you. I love that place. I wish I lived closer. I found out about it by posting on a Big Green Egg site (not sure which) several years ago looking for tri-tip recs and someone told me about it. I called them and they said they'd cut some up for me, but to give them a few days. Went and picked them up and it's been my favorite place ever since. Fortunately, they're not too far from my girlfriend's parents' house (w/pool and grill), so I hit them up a lot in the summer.

For all you NOVA folks, I finally made a trip to the Springfield Butcher - it's now my second favorite place to buy meat.

PS - not to knock TJ's as I do like some of the stuff they carry and we have one close by, but I cooked up an unmarinated tri from there a couple weeks ago, and let's just say it's the last time I'll be buying a tri from them. I've had some really good ones, and I've had some really bad ones. The quality is just too inconsistant for my liking.

Thanks Steve.
I cooked the tri as recommended on this site. I'm not sure what the problem was, but I didnt like it at all. I'm thinking it was the unmarinated tri itself that I got from Trader Joes. It was pretty tough to cut and very chewy and it just had an off flavor or something. I used oak for the smoke and only used the seasonings that were in the recipe. I was really looking forward to it and I was really dissapointed. On a good note though, an older butcher at the local chain store said he used to cut tri's years ago and knows exactly what I want. Bad part is the price of CAB sirloin is a littl over $9.00 a lb around here (well at least at that store). So I will give the tri another shot in a week or so to see if was the meat itself that I got from trader Joe's that I didnt like, or maybe I just dont like tri tips.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GregS:
Thanks Steve.
I cooked the tri as recommended on this site. I'm not sure what the problem was, but I didnt like it at all. I'm thinking it was the unmarinated tri itself that I got from Trader Joes. It was pretty tough to cut and very chewy and it just had an off flavor or something. I used oak for the smoke and only used the seasonings that were in the recipe. I was really looking forward to it and I was really dissapointed. On a good note though, an older butcher at the local chain store said he used to cut tri's years ago and knows exactly what I want. Bad part is the price of CAB sirloin is a littl over $9.00 a lb around here (well at least at that store). So I will give the tri another shot in a week or so to see if was the meat itself that I got from trader Joe's that I didnt like, or maybe I just dont like tri tips. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greg,

Hmmmm....now you got me worried
icon_frown.gif
I'm doing the Treuth tri's today, not the TJ's one I picked up. Hope my experience with my first tri is better....I'll start a new thread shortly...

Dean...

We just started to cook tri-tip on the WSM. Normally it is hard to find up in Canada. I found some at a local Safeway store.

I just cook them on the top grill around 300 degrees until around 140 using Montreal Steak rub and some oak wood. I let them rest for 20 minutes and cut them across the grain thinly.

We like it better than Prime Rib and its a dog fight for any leftovers. Perhaps you are slicing the meat with the grain and too thick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad Armstrong:
We just started to cook tri-tip on the WSM. Normally it is hard to find up in Canada. I found some at a local Safeway store.

I just cook them on the top grill around 300 degrees until around 140 using Montreal Steak rub and some oak wood. I let them rest for 20 minutes and cut them across the grain thinly.

We like it better than Prime Rib and its a dog fight for any leftovers. Perhaps you are slicing the meat with the grain and too thick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brad,

LOL ! My 1st tri came out great....see my thread in the "Grilling" section. NO WAY are the dogs getting any of THIS cook
icon_smile.gif

I'm worried about GregS's and Ken's comments about Trader Joe's tri...I have 1 of those I picked up....but from what I read from Kevin K and others, the TJ tri's can be hit or miss...

You use the WSM and cook to 140 ? That seems way high, from what I've read....you like your meat "well" ???

Glad you found a source for tri ! My local Safeway has no idea...

Dean...

Back